Thread: My enter key doesn't work for reformatting?

My enter key doesn't work for reformatting?

Hi, I realize this is probably not the right spot for this but I couldn't think of where else it would go.

I'm trying to reformat my other computer right now (my dad REALLY messed it up somehow...) and everytime it gets to the screen where you have to either press enter to set up windows, r to repair or F3 to quit, none of the buttons work... So I can't continue at all past that point. It is Windows XP by the way.

Can anyone think of what could be wrong with it..? Enter and stuff works whenever I do anything else - like when I set it so that it would boot from cd... I even tried to plug in a different keyboard. It seems as though whenever this screem comes up it stops working, because the lights that are usually on the keyboard go out.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!!

Re: My enter key doesn't work for reformatting?

You may have a hardware conflict. Try entering the BIOS and searching for a setting called reset configuration data. Should be in the advanced settings. Enable this setting, save and exit. This will allow the system to reallocate the IRQ assignments. This setting should revert back to disabled after one boot cycle but check it anyway to be sure. You don't want to reallocate on each boot. If this doesn't work then remove all non essential hardware cards and disable non essential onboard hardware in the BIOS and reboot. If that works, add back in one be one.