Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: XP randomly shuts down and restarts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2

    XP randomly shuts down and restarts

    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not. Not sure it's an XP problem. For over a month now my machine will just randomly shut down with no error message, no blue screen, nothing then automatically restart. I always check the Event Viewer. Originally gusvc, QBCF Monitor and avg8emc along with Intuit Update Service, Security Center and ATI Smart always show up. I turned off the Google update and the Quickbooks CF. I uninstalled and reinstalled AVG. Those 3 do not show up any longer in the Event Viewer. But Intuit Update (I turned off automatic updates on both Quickbooks and Turbo Tax so don't know what is Intuit that's set to update), ATI Smart and Security Center still show up in viewer. I've run MemTest86+ and it says memory is fine. I ran SeaTools for Windows (couldn't get the DOS version to work) and it said Long DST fail. All the others passed. I've updated my ATI drivers. My system will sometimes run for days without shutting down. Today, it's shut down 3 times already. I've blown out my CPU well! Numerous times. lol. I've checked all cords/plugs and everything is in tight. There is no consistency on the programs I'm running at the time of shut down. Usually I have my mail open (Thunderbird), Firefox, etc. but sometimes it does it in the middle of the night when I'm not even on it. Any suggestions? I'm about to pull all my hair out here!!!
    Lynn

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: XP randomly shuts down and restarts

    Right click on properties, go to advanced, startup & recovery, settings & uncheck automatically restart. Its simple !!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: XP randomly shuts down and restarts

    Check your keyboard keys as it can be due to some keys defective operation, i had such strange problem and after checking all windows and hardware setting answer was fault in keyboard. also you have not mention any antivirus status because rootkits anti virus can create such problem see here Rootkits danger and prevention so scan your computer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,388

    Re: XP randomly shuts down and restarts

    There are multiple reasons behind your problem. Like it can be due to recovery settings, incompatible software's or drivers and BIOS problem. For the recovery settings right click on my computer and click on properties. Select advanced > startup and recovery. Click now on settings and clear automatic restart and click on ok. Restart your system. If the problem is not solved then there would be compatibility problem with any software or driver newly installed. Restart you computer in safe mode and uninstall it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by WMBrown View Post
    Right click on properties, go to advanced, startup & recovery, settings & uncheck automatically restart. Its simple !!!
    I did that a couple days ago. It still restarts itself.
    Lynn

    Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    Check your keyboard keys as it can be due to some keys defective operation, i had such strange problem and after checking all windows and hardware setting answer was fault in keyboard. also you have not mention any antivirus status because rootkits anti virus can create such problem see here Rootkits danger and prevention so scan your computer.
    How would I check for defective keys on my keyboard? It "seems" to be working fine. As far as antivirus, I'm running AVG. I update it and run daily.
    Lynn

    Quote Originally Posted by Devasis View Post
    There are multiple reasons behind your problem. Like it can be due to recovery settings, incompatible software's or drivers and BIOS problem. For the recovery settings right click on my computer and click on properties. Select advanced > startup and recovery. Click now on settings and clear automatic restart and click on ok. Restart your system. If the problem is not solved then there would be compatibility problem with any software or driver newly installed. Restart you computer in safe mode and uninstall it.
    Okay, I'll try that. Any clue if AdvancedSystemCare is a good program? I'd installed it right before this happened. I uninstalled it a few weeks ago but the problem persisted.
    Lynn

    Quote Originally Posted by lynwlms View Post
    Okay, I'll try that. Any clue if AdvancedSystemCare is a good program? I'd installed it right before this happened. I uninstalled it a few weeks ago but the problem persisted.
    Lynn
    Okay, just restarted in Safe Mode. Interesting thing...my mouse will not work. I've tried both a PS2 and a USB one. Neither one work. HELP!
    Lynn

Similar Threads

  1. Alienware M5500i-r3 shuts off and continuously restarts
    By Noell in forum Portable Devices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 02:28 PM
  2. Dragon Age II randomly shuts down PC
    By Victorious mind in forum Video Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM
  3. Toshiba T61 Shuts down randomly
    By Gavisht in forum Portable Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-11-2010, 01:17 PM
  4. LG ks360 shuts off randomly
    By Charioteer in forum Portable Devices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •