Thread: XP: Not able to run chkdsk,defragment or scandsk

XP: Not able to run chkdsk,defragment or scandsk

I need help figuring out a good script to write for running ScanDisk and Defrag. Whenever i am trying to run Defrag or chkdsk, i am getting error. Windows says, "Cannot open volume for direct access" for chkdsk and "Disk Defragmenter could not start" for defrag.I am up to date on all updates.. Could any one of you help me out in this problem ? Please.. Thanks in advance..

Re: XP: Not able to run chkdsk,defragment or scandsk

It sounds like your pc may have a virus or spyware. Try working out for malware removal. Once done, try to run chkdsk and defragment in safe mode. Or try typing "fsutil dirty set c:" into your cmd prompt. Where c: is your drive letter. Then restart. This should mark your drive as "dirty," as in having problems and force chkdsk to run before the next time Windows starts. Once that finishes, I think defrag will work since your errors are gone.

You can also try to restore your pc, it helps to fix this error.Click start,all programs,accessories,system tools.You will see system restore.Also you can use DEFRAG.EXE from the command line. You can't run it remotely. You might try setting up a scheduled task to do it. You can do that remotely using SCHTASKS.EXE. You could do the same thing with CHKDSK.EXE.

Dr. V Guest

it might also be the cause of auto update that may have created a new Windows profile.Look in your c: drive and go to the Documents and Settings folder. You'll probably see your name or user name appear twice. One of them with a digit at the end. If you see that just copy the contents of the original name to the new one. Hope this will fix this error. If not than you can go to start all programs accessories and right click on "command prompt" select "run as administrator" at the command prompt type chkdsk /r press enter you will get a message about the volume being in use and would you like to run at boot press"Y" press enter and reboot.

You could make it part of a user's logon script, assuming their account has
    rights to run defrag. Another option would be to make it part of a computer
    startup-script.You could try booting from a Windows install disc and running chkdsk from the recovery console.If you have task scheduler enabled and windows defrag is saying not installed than type the following code in the command and enter

net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
    press enter then type:
    exit
    press enter and restart your computer

For more information on the similar error, You can find out in this:-

defragment & chkdsk error
    Unable to Start Disk Defragment & also unable to Create Restore