Thread: Vista write protected hard drive

Vista write protected hard drive

On my vista box, my C:\ drive is protected against writes and I need to manually authorize each write. I ran a chkdsk /f on it at boot this morning (having to do at boot since obviously Vista won't allow me to chkdsk a mounted drive.) and this appears to have temporarily fixed the issue but Needless to say, this is turning out into a major pain as I can't run any programs which need write access.

Re: Vista write protected hard drive

I doubt because of RAID it creates a problem though, because that should affect drive C as well since it's another partition of that RAID. but sometimes I don't think the RAID has much to do with it in, because in some other places where people had a second physical drive not on a RAID array and ran into the same thing.

Write protected? I doubt it. NTFS permissions OTOH? Is your account a user or an administrator? Is UAC turned on? You may need to take ownership of the files and change permissions. The NTFS file system allow you to change access right if you 'run as admin'.You might try this. Open an admin command prompt. Type [cd\] Press Enter. Type [attrib -r] Press Enter.

Are those folders still about Vista? Did u enabled that encryption that came with Vista? It's pretty common for motherboard makers to add a second drive controller on the board in addition to what is provided by the southbridge either to bump up the total number of ports usually for eSATA, for better RAID, or in the case of Intel boards, because they need it for IDE.U might want to get a Live distro (linux) that is capable to read NTFS partitions, and allows u to manually copy the folder / Files to the XP partition.