Thread: Where is automatic update Icon In Ubuntu 9.04

Where is automatic update Icon In Ubuntu 9.04

I upgraded my Ubuntu system to 9.04 last week. I like this updated system with its some of the new features. But one thing that is annoying me is the missing Automatic Update Notification icon. I am not able to know the updates that are pending for my system. Is there any way to get back the Update notification icon back to the system tray in Ubuntu 9.04? Please help me guys..

Re: Where is automatic update Icon In Ubuntu 9.04

In previous version of Ubuntu, you were notified on a daily basis of any software updates where in Ubuntu 9.04 you are no longer notified about software updates in the system tray on a daily basis.Anyways, to get it back, just follow this steps:-

Go to Menu > Application > Accessories > Terminal and type gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false and press Enter.

If you want to go back to the new notification method than type gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch true and press Enter.

Thats it !!In 9.04 you will be notified on a daily basis if there are security updates, however, you will only be notified on a weekly basis for non security updates.

Dr. V Guest

Ubuntu 9.04 introduces a change to the handling of package updates, launching update-manager directly instead of displaying a notification icon in the GNOME panel. You can either get it back from the gconf configuration tool. To get it back, Just press ALT-F2 on the keyboard and type gconf-editor in the run box and press Enter. Now in the left pane, click on the arrow next to Apps, then scroll down to update-notifier and click on it.Now on the right side click the check box next to auto_launch and close the editor.

You are done !!

I predict that opening the Update Manager window while people are working will piss off a lot of users when it happens, and may result in them wanting to disable automatic checking. I have always wanted more customization than the update manager has allowed. The only option in gnome have been advise of updates daily, weekly, or every two weeks.