Thread: Tried to Restore Windows.old. Can I undo?

Tried to Restore Windows.old. Can I undo?

Computer Specs:
    Asus Eee Pc: 1005HAB
    Memory: Less than a Gig
    Date Purchased: About 2 years ago.

After I got this Eee Pc, I put windows7 on it thinking it would run just as well as XP and it slowed it way down. I decided I would try to restore Windows.old (The folder containing my previous copy of windows) using this website (google 'how to restore windows.old windows 7' and it should be the first result. I can't post links), but I received an error saying I was missing some ü.dll file on the step:
    "Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    D:\boot\bootsect /nt52 c:"
    When I finished, XP was not re-installed and my computer has trouble booting, runs even slower, and cannot find any files because they are all missing.

Can I undo the process from that tutorial or does someone know how to fix the error? Thank you.

Re: Tried to Restore Windows.old. Can I undo?

I don't know which articles you have referred to. Trying accessing genuine tutorials like the one given here from Microsoft How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder . Do refer this and let me know if you still have any problems during the restore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuler View Post
    I don't know which articles you have referred to. Trying accessing genuine tutorials like the one given here from Microsoft How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder . Do refer this and let me know if you still have any problems during the restore.
    That's the "genuine" tutorial I used, but I can't complete the step, "Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    D:\boot\bootsect /nt52 c:" because I was missing a .dll file and now I want to try to reverse the process if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tastyblankets View Post
    That's the "genuine" tutorial I used, but I can't complete the step, "Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    D:\boot\bootsect /nt52 c:" because I was missing a .dll file and now I want to try to reverse the process if possible.
    Can you post the exact error details that you were getting??? just post it here so that i can have a better idea of your issue and will try to help you with the same.

Sorry. I know I'm being vague, but I'm more interested in turning back the process than going forward. Going forward works too. I can't tell you exactly what it said because now the hard-drive that had windows on it is faulty, but it said 'you are missing ü.dll'
    Should I just try it again with a better usb?

Quote Originally Posted by tastyblankets View Post
    Sorry. I know I'm being vague, but I'm more interested in turning back the process than going forward. Going forward works too. I can't tell you exactly what it said because now the hard-drive that had windows on it is faulty, but it said 'you are missing ü.dll'
    Should I just try it again with a better usb?
    I don't think that there is something wrong with the usb in your case but then if you doubt then you can try it out to narrow down the cause of this issue.