Thread: System Fails, Restore Disc Won't Run

question System Fails, Restore Disc Won't Run

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ20 with Windows XP Home and whatever service packs or updates Microsoft disseminated since 2003. The PC is getting on in years, but seemed to work fine, until now.

When I start the system, Windows fails to launch. I get a low resolution text screen that gives me various "safe mode" options, plus an option to restore to whatever configuration last worked. This last option did not work, despite several tries, so I pick a safe mode route, which triggers a signal that some file or element of Windows operating system has been corrupted or lost. It tells me to insert the Restore disc #1, wait for a prompt, and click the "r" key. However, nothing happens. I have the three original System Restore CDs that came with the VAI0. But when I insert the first disc, as instructed, there is only a puttering or idling sound. Nothing else happens. If I cold boot the PC with the disc in the drive, it spins a bit, but without anything happening either.

What to do?

Worst case, if I connect the Vaio via a USB cable to a healthy PC, could the latter be used to browse the sick PC's hard drive and back-up any files I'd like to preserve?

Thanks for any guidance.

Re: System Fails, Restore Disc Won't Run

Check this thread with similar issue :
    System Restore won't open
    system restore fails in normal mode

Re: System Fails, Restore Disc Won't Run

Thanks. But the two threads involve cases where the person was still able to open the Safe Mode completely, or could at least find the Start or Run buttons. I only get to a black screen that tells me that Windows failed to boot, that a file may be lost or corrupt, and that I should insert the Restore CD and wait for a prompt. Trouble is, the disc seems to do nothing but sputter, and I get no prompt or menu of any sort. I cannot do a Virus check either, since I cannot get to the desk top or invoke any programs whatever.