Thread: Restrict write access of CD or DVD in windows 7

Restrict write access of CD or DVD in windows 7

I am having a Windows 7 computer at my home. In my absences many of mine friends and keep playing with DVD drive. They used to write cd or dvd of the movies or some important and secret documents i have in my computer. So for some security reason, i need to restrict them to do so by changing any settings in my PC. Is there any way to deny write access of DVD's in Windows 7? If yes, please let me know.

Re: Restrict write access of CD or DVD in windows 7

Well, you can do that by making some changes in registry. To restrict write access of CD or DVD in windows 7, follow this steps:-

Go to Start and run command prompt with Administrator rights and type gpedit.msc in the command prompt and press Enter.

Now locate to the folder User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access.

Now in the Removable Storage Access, double-click CD and DVD: Deny write access in the Settings section of the Group Policy editor on the right side.

Select the Enabled Box and press Ok. Close the registry and reboot the computer. Thats it..

You can even restrict the read access of the DVD in windows 7. To do so locate folder User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access and double-click CD and DVD: Deny read access and mark Enabled. Thats it

Thanks for helping me guys and for the extra stuff. I really needed this to make my documents secure. I appreciate the help.