Thread: cscl.tmp is corrupt and unreadable

cscl.tmp is corrupt and unreadable

I am on Windows XP home and as soon as I come to a screen where you click your user name and password, it skips and takes me to the screen which comes after entering password and then it freezes and I recieve a error message called:
    The file or directory \windows\csc\cscl.tmp is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the CHKDSK utility.
    Now, I am stuck to that screen always when I restart and I also tried safe more and other options but all of them didnt work. Does anybody here face similar issue? Waiting for your responses. Thank you

Re: cscl.tmp is corrupt and unreadable

Try running chkdsk:

Start - Run - chkdsk /f

do you happen to have a bootable CD or floppy? boot up your machine from this CD of floppy and let the machine stay there for few minutes, see if this also freeze your computer. doing so, we might be able to tell whether this is OS issue or hardware issue.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

yeah, schedule a chkdsk yourself by "chkdsk c: /R /F" and "chkdsk d: /R /F /X"

replace d: with your drive letter, and /x forces volume to dismount first if necessary so make sure that no reading writing operation is in process on that drive.