Thread: Temporary Internet Files and Windows 7 RC

Temporary Internet Files and Windows 7 RC

I wish there was an "I.T." version of Windows Vista and Windows 7. I don't like that Microsoft decrees what I can and can't see what's stored on my computer.

I'm using the new Windows 7RC and I would like access to my Temporary Internet Files.

According to IE8 and Win7, my "cache" folder is located at
    ""C:\User\Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" but that folder is empty. Anyone know where else the cache files are stored?

Thanks.
    Stan.

Re: Temporary Internet Files and Windows 7 RC

I dont know where the internet cache file in Windows 7 are located but if you want to clear them then start Internet Explorer 8 and open the Web site in question. Press the {F12} key to launch Developer Tools. From the Cache menu, click Clear Browser Cache for this Domai.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Open IE 8 on the right of your page ,, Click "Tools" and then "Internet Options". Now go in "general" (the first tab opened) in the middle there will "browsing history" click it ,, Now click the button that says "settings" Last click on the "view files" and open a large window, you will see the full path and notice it is in the correct location, with all your cookies.

So, the directories are named the same, but are seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by newtech View Post
    I dont know where the internet cache file in Windows 7 are located but if you want to clear them then start Internet Explorer 8 and open the Web site in question. Press the {F12} key to launch Developer Tools. From the Cache menu, click Clear Browser Cache for this Domai.
    I don't want to clear them. I have a requirement for files that are streamed to the computer but reside in the cache folder. Normaly I go in and just copy them to another folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    Open IE 8 on the right of your page ,, Click "Tools" and then "Internet Options". Now go in "general" (the first tab opened) in the middle there will "browsing history" click it ,, Now click the button that says "settings" Last click on the "view files" and open a large window, you will see the full path and notice it is in the correct location, with all your cookies.

So, the directories are named the same, but are seperate.
    Thanks, but as I mentioned in the OP, when I do that, the folder just contains a few .ICO files and some cookies (less than 10 files total). Nowhere near the amount I should have. The cache must be stored somewhere else.

Well it took me a while but I found them.

In Windows Explorer, go to Organize > Folder and Search Options. Click on the View tab and select "Show Hidden Files, folders and drives" and deselct "Hide protected operating system files"

Go to

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \Temporary Internet Files\"

In the location bar up top, click it and add Low\Content.IE5\

So in the location bar, it should look like this.
    "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5"

Under the Content.IE5 folder, you will find folder(s) that are random alphanumerical 8 character names. Inside those folders, you will find all the temporary internet cached files.

If you do not deselect hide operating system files, you will not be able to browse to the folders with Windows Explorer. For whatever reason, Microsoft decided to permanently hide these folders and files. You will not see them unless you manually input them into the location bar. And you will not be able to input them unless you deselect that hide protected operating system files. Once I found the Content.IE5 folder, I created a shortcut on my desktop for it.

Alternatively, you can browse to those directories in the CMD prompt. But you will need to use the DIR /AH to display the hidden folders and files.

I too have a need to access the Temporary Internet Files folders...to view versions of prototype, scriptalicious, mootools, etc.

I am using Windows 7 with IE 8 and would like to view my cached files, graphics, javascript files, etc.All of the places I have been able to search out suggest that the folder resides in:

C:/users/USERname/appData/local/microsoft/windows/TemporaryInternetFiles/ BUT mine is blank...as well as all of the other permutations of "temporary internet files" that can be seen with windows explorer.

I could not get : c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5 to work in Windows 7

Where are the temp internet files located and why make it so hard to see them? In winxp with IE8 you could move the folder to a location of your choice...Win7 allows this but there are only icon files.

I have administrator permissions with only one account on my system and all hidden files, extentions are unchecked in the TOOLS/InternetOptions/Advanced/

Does anyone have the exact path of all of the temporary internet files?

Make sure you have "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" unchecked.

And I did give you the exact location. Substitute Stan for whatever your username is.

C:\Users\Stan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5 (Make sure there are no spaces. It's the forum thread that is putting in spaces.)

You see the 8 character folders? The temp files are stored in them and you can only see them IF you have "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeman28a View Post
    C:\Users\Stan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5 (Make sure there are no spaces. It's the forum thread that is putting in spaces.)
    Sorry. Let me clarify. No spaces if they are in the middle of a word. For some reason, the forum is breaking up the word temporary on my screen.

Thanks Zeeman:

I did follow your post very carefully, as well as quite a few other forums about Windows 7 and Temp Internet Files.

At these links:
    http://www.jollymoon.com/screencaptu...ernetFiles.jpg and
    http://www.jollymoon.com/screencaptu...rnetFiles2.jpg
    you can see screen captures of my situation (and your post in the background). Both in the Windows Explorer folder with typed in information and of the Folder View in Windows Explorer, to uncheck the appropriate boxes. Maybe I am missing something?

My pictures look exactly like yours, but there are NO temp internet files or Low Directory or eight character files...even though I typed in the Low/Content.IE5 ...

I have found numerous instances of Temp Internet Files folders in other places (all empty) and even one in folder "Application Data" instead of "App Data" that is also empty of Temp Internet Files.

Maybe the retail release of Windows 7 is different than the RC?

Still looking for an answer...
    Last edited by jollymoon; 26-10-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jollymoon View Post
    You have incorrect slash marks. The location you have won't work.

It needs to be \ slash mark and not / to seperate the folders.

C:\Users\jollymoon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5

should be how the location appears in the address bar.
    Last edited by Zeeman28a; 26-10-2009 at 11:14 AM.

I am so glad to be wrong...at least the issue has been answered.

Zeeman is correct about the directory for storing of Temp Internet Files:
    C:\Users\jollymoon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5

My direct of the above name WAS empty...that is because I had forgotten that I had "moved" the Temp Internet Files from inside IE8 !

In my case I had moved the Temps to C:/internet/TempInternetFiles/ but you still have to add the \Low\Content.IE5 (with correct slashes) into the directory window.

Thanx sports fans! Now back to surfing...

The best way to open Temporary Folder of windows is to go to run and type "temp" and press enter. For second folder type "%temp%" and press enter. Hope this is useful, All the best...