Thread: Change the Drive Letter and Paths in Windows Vista

Change the Drive Letter and Paths in Windows Vista

Hello,

I'm having the dual boot of windows xp and vista. Whenever i'm trying to change the drive letter in disk management by selecting "Change Drive Letter and Paths" option , Its giving me the following error:
    "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your volume. This may happen if your volume is a system or boot drive, or has pages files."
    I don't know what it means to? please show me the right way to perform this task. Thanks

Re: Change the Drive Letter and Paths in Windows Vista

For which partition you are trying to change the drive letter? If from Vista you are trying to change the letter for XP partition then you'll always get the same error . To solve the problem what you have to do is note the driver letter for windows xp partition assigned in Windows Vista. and now boot to windows xp and give that letter to windows vista partition.

For example , IF in windows viata, the xp having the drive letter "E" , then when you boots from windows xp, you have to assign the "E" drive letter to windows vista. And for all the rest of the data partitions you can change and assign drive letters in the same way for both operating systems.

First clarify that you are not trying to assign the existing drive letter to your partition. Means if some other partition having the "X" drive letter then you can't assign it to other partition until you change the drive letter of X partition .