Thread: Getting “Stopping System V runlevel compatibility” error message while booting ubuntu 11.04

Getting “Stopping System V runlevel compatibility” error message while booting ubuntu 11.04

I am using ubuntu operating system and as it is new to me, I don’t have enough idea regarding this issue , so I have just made an installation of gNatty 11.04 on my machine for the first thing I have done is to update by means of the terminal, so here is what which I tried out.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    there were no issues in the beginning but , it seemed to be messed up after a restart and I receive this message while booting:

Stopping System V runlevel compatibility
    So I just thought of making an re installation which would sort out the issue. But it did not work in my case. and the problem is still persisting, so guys can you assist in my case . please provide an appropriate solution .

Re: Getting “Stopping System V runlevel compatibility” error message while booting ubuntu 11.04

I was also having same issues as you mentioned and I need to say that you will require to make sure regarding the graphics driver as it is indeed a graphics driver issue. In addition to this , I will provide a simple solution as you need to just press Control+Alt+F1, and then log in, and run 'startx' , and it will work for you.

Re: Getting “Stopping System V runlevel compatibility” error message while booting ubuntu 11.04

I was also concerned to this similar issue and in my case I was running on an intel gma chipset. and as you suggested that making use of running startx solved my issue , in addition if that does not help you need to downgrade xorg-server-video packages in Synaptic and it will surely help in your case . try this and hope you will close to your solution.

Please assist guys as I also have this issue. As I was making an install of Ubuntu (natty 11.04) and it asked me for a dist upgrade and I thought that it will have positive outcomes but it was an opposite case. now Ubuntu hang at "Stopping System V runlevel compatibility".

I made several positive attempts which I thought would help me to solve my issue so I switched to the recovery console and made attempts for the vesa and radeon driver rather than of fglrx, but there was no change.
    And it also came to my notice that starting the x-server by startx makes the machine crashing completely.I have ubuntu 11.04 along with radeon 5570 as well as radeon 5450. So can you assist me further. Please.

As you are making use of radeon 5570 I need to say that you require to make a Launchpad report and get the DKMS, and it will work. You need to make sure your front panel jacks along with wiring are capable of auto-muting speakers. And there is no requirement of special wiring that is not regular in most PC Cases. I had to buy a improved audio front panel in order to test this bug. But I consider finding schemes for accurate wiring online back then. So hope this helps.

If you are concerned with the intel, you need to type this code.

Code:
    sudo mv ~/.Xauthority.conf ~/.Xauthority.conf.old
    sudo mv /etc/x11/xorg.conf /etc/x11/xorg.conf.backup
    sudo killall /usr/bin/X
    sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo service lightdm start
    and this will solve your issue.

As this discussion goes deep , I would like to add some more points in this case and after 11.10 upgrade. I too was relating with the same issue and I was able to start the X system with startx (from tty 1) and it worked normally. But I was not able to start the system in safe mode since I have lost the menu where I could choice the kernel. So I made some attempts to remove the restricted driver (fglrx) and It was solved.

My issue was solved by installing: lightdm-gtk-greeter

and it came to my notice that version 11.10 will tend to have a replace of gdm by lightdm start manager and since the version upgrade didn't install the greeter package, the new lightdm worked.so I need to say this solution will definitely work .

I found a simple solution on net which helped me to solve my issue and all you need to do is to move in the Ubuntu Software Centre and then search ''lightdm'' and move to the more info section add-ons and there you need to make an installation of "unity-greeter". Hope this helps.

I suppose it's just what you see when X11 fails to start during the boot procedure. I just had the similar issue but it had nothing to do with my chipset or else graphics card. I went to the terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and made some attempts with the startx . I did have a cluster of fglrx issues from my nVidia graphics card, but under that was an error concerning being unable to write a keyboard configuration file.so as I found from some sources , it came to my notice that I was out of disk space. Freeing up some resolved the issue completely in my case. I think the nVidia issues were just since it was scanning every PCI port for devices.

I also have some more information as some guys have issues regarding lightdm and lightdm-gtk-theme. And all is sorted out as installing gdm package will assist .in addition, You need to run dpkg-reconfigure gdm. This will completely resolve your issue of lightdm.