Thread: Windows Vista fails to boot up

Windows Vista fails to boot up

After changing my mobo and cpu I reinstalled Vista(Ultimate) and everything works fine until I reboot and get the following message on a black and white screen:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. TO fix the problem:

Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    Choose your language settings, and then click “Next”
    Click “Repair your computer”

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\Drivers\ksecdd.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

Any ideas as to how to fix this issue?

Re: Windows Vista fails to boot up

Missing or Damaged Driver File

Use Recovery Console to replace the missing or damaged driver file. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start Recovery Console.
    3. If your computer is configured for dual booting or multiple booting, select the relevant Windows XP installation.
    4. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Note In Windows XP Home Edition, the administrator password is\ blank by default.
    5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    cd windows\system32\drivers
    6. To rename the damaged driver file, type the following command, and then press ENTER
    ren drivername.sys drivername.bak
    where drivername is the name of the damaged driver file.
    7. To copy the driver from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the Drivers folder, type the following command, and then press ENTER
    copy cd-rom:\i386 drivername
    where cd-rom is the drive letter for the drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    8. Type exit, press ENTER, and then restart the computer.

You need to boot in to safe mode by pressing F8 key and check out Administrative Tools by going on Start Menu or on Control Panel in that select Event Viewer. You can also check out your system properties or can also go in the BIOS and try to turn off Automatically Restart under System Failure.

I've this same problem -- it's Vista, no XP. It will not boot from the CD/DVD; I get the error, try to boot from the disc and it goes right back to rebooting the entire pc over again. The Operating system is not working and I cannot get into the repair program on the disc. What is the problem?????

Why don’t you try to perform a Startup Repair by booting through a Vista Installation CD or with Recovery Disk. In order to boot from the disk you will possibly require modifying the BIOS to place CD-drive on the top in the boot chain. For doing so, you have to stay for the screen that says to F key to drive to use the boot menu or boot setup. Tap the key rapidly. Go ahead, alter the changes, and finally save and exit. Now insert the Disk in the drive and reboot.

I did modify the bios to boot directly from the cd, however, the disc was not recognized as being installed. I think it is something to do with the actual disc -- I've read elsewhere the vista boot discs have errors that sometimes prevent them from being detected by certain drives.

Anyway, we decided to go another way and even though we did not get Vista to install, we did get it working. Now we have to replace the power supply! I guess if it's not one thing, it's another! Thanks for the assistance.