Thread: How to clear arp cache from command prompt in Vista

How to clear arp cache from command prompt in Vista

I am facing some connectivity problems on my Windows Vista computer and hence i thought to clear The Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) cache from my system. i guess this can be a good step in troubleshooting connectivity problems. So could any one of you let me know how can i do that from my Vista command prompt ? Help appreciated.

Re: How to clear arp cache from command prompt in Vista

You are correct. Clearing ARP cache is definitely good step in troubleshooting connectivity problems because it is the standard method for finding a host’s hardware address when only its network layer address is known.If you begin to notice network connectivity problems such as particular web pages not loading or not being able to ping certain IP addresses then clearing your ARP cache is a good place to start.

Clearing ARP cache from command line is very simple in windows. Go to Start and type Cmd in the search line to open command prompt and press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to force Administrator privileges. Now type
    netsh interface ip delete arpcache
    in the command prompt and press Enter.

Thats it. You are done !

If you are facing any connectivity problem and you think its cause of ARP cache, than to make it confirm that it’s indeed an ARP issue, try to ping both the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and the local computer’s IP address. Then try to any other IP addresses such as those of Google.com or Yahoo.com. If you can ping to local IP address and loopback address, but not any other IP addresses, then this is the typical symptom of ARP cache failure.

You can view your workstations ARP table by typing “arp –a” from a command prompt. Deleting the ARP cache is just as simple and can be done from a command prompt by typing “netsh interface ip delete arpcache”. Microsoft Windows ARP cache will occasionally become corrupt and need to be cleared and deleted so that the cache can be refreshed.