Thread: Windows Update and Hotfix Installer Errors

Windows Update and Hotfix Installer Errors

I am not able to install this particular update: SQL Server 2005 (1)-
    Security update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB960089).It gives me this error code:"WindowsUpdate_000000FF" .

Every time I try an install it fails then pops up with this message:
    1)Hotfix installer has stopped working
    a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
    windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
    2)Hotfix installer stopped working and was closed.
    A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

What can I do to fix this an be able to install the update?

Re: Windows Update and Hotfix Installer Errors

I dont know how you are trying to update this! So, download it from Microsoft and then try to install it now.
    Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB960089)

1. Click Start
    • Collapse this imageExpand this image
    • Start button

2. In the Start Search box, type regedit.
    3. In the Programs list, click Regedit.exe.

• Collapse this imageExpand this image
    • User Account Control permission
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

4. Find and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS
    5. Right-click COMPONENTS.
    6. Click Export.
    7. In the File Name box, type COMPONENTS.
    8. In the Save in box, click Desktop, and then click Save to save the file to your desktop.
    9. In the details pane, right-click PendingXmlIdentifier, and then click Delete. If this value does not exist, go to the next step.
    10. In the details pane, right-click NextQueueEntryIndex, and then click Delete. If this value does not exist, go to the next step.
    11. In the details pane, right-click AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, and then click Delete. If this value does not exist, go to the next step.
    12. Restart the computer.

unsure Re: Windows Update and Hotfix Installer Errors

Thanks JONATHAN D for your attempt to help.

I followed your steps to save onto the desktop COMPONENTS. But the "details", are you meaning the "details" in the Registry or in the Components file in the desktop, where do we click to get into the details to do the editing you suggested please?
    Can you please clarify?
    Thanks, it would be great if you could zip over to my email address your reply too Peterchin2@btinternet.com THANKS A MILLION!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peterchin2 View Post
    Thanks JONATHAN D for your attempt to help.

I followed your steps to save onto the desktop COMPONENTS. But the "details", are you meaning the "details" in the Registry or in the Components file in the desktop, where do we click to get into the details to do the editing you suggested please?
    Can you please clarify?
    Thanks, it would be great if you could zip over to my email address too THANKS A MILLION!!
    Not the file that you exported to the desktop, this should be done in the registry editor itself. The files are exported to take a backup in case you screw your system, you can restore this by double clicking on the file which you exported to restore the previous settings...

Thanks Jonathan D.

In the Registry Editor, where do I find "details" please? I have Windows Vista Ultimate OS. In the Registry Editor, I see File Edit View Favourities Help, there are no "Details". When I click on COMPONENTS FOLDER under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then click on COMPONENTS FOLDER, I see on the right column Ab(Default), PublisherPolicyChangeTime, StoreArchitecture, StoreFormatVersion

I cannot find PendingXmIdentifier, NextQueueEntryIndex, AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving as you suggested. Thanks for your help. Peterchin2@btinternet.com

This problem may occur when the Windows Update Agent tries to scan for Windows Installer updates. The error that you receive when you install the package, or the subsequent re-offers from Windows Update that you receive, are caused because the installer log is not created. in order to get rid of the above issue, you need to check out the following link.

I am facing the following error:
    "Hotfix installer has stopped working" when i try to install the MS SQL Server 2005 update using Windows Update.
    My OS is MS Vista Home Premium

Please help.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply. Can you please provide me the EXACT LINK to the DOWNLOAD FOR WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM edition, because the solution you provided seems to be only for Windows XP.

With gratitude.

Peter

In order to download Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, you just need to check out the following link. Its an official Microsoft website link, there you would also get an option to upgrade your operating system. Hope so the above mention link would resolve your issue.

Thanks for the advice Raine, however, the link you provided is about downloading Windows Vista or upgrading Windows Vista.

My problem is about HOtfix Installers stopped the downloads of SQL Server updates. The reason why I mention Windows Vista is because that is my operating system. There are different solutions and fixes for different operating systems such as Windows XP and Windows 2000 or Windows 7. Got it?