Thread: Problem booting Windows Vista ( \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys )

Problem booting Windows Vista ( \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys )

Hi there,

before describing my problem I'd just like to inform the reader that I am a newbie when it comes to problems like this. Therefore I would highly appreciate replies from users who take this into account, and who tries to be as pedagogical as possible.

Now to my problem:

As of yesterday my Windows Vista has been acting odd. More precisely, when I am trying to boot my Windows Vista, the execution procedure only reaches the intial step [ see Picture1 ].

To try to trouble-shoot this problem in my own newbie kind-of-way, I restarted the computer, and chose "Fail-safe start-up mode with command prompt". (Translation from the Swedish denotations).

1) When doing so the execution is explicitly presented in a MS-DOS kind of list. [ see Picture2 ]

2) From this I realise that the execution reaches the file \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys as can be seen in the picture.

3) As I am newbie I don't know how to fix this problem. However, I once again restarted the computer and chose the Phoenix TrustedCore Setup Utility to get wiser. Here I have tried change the Boot priority order, to see what happens [ see Picture3 ]. I tried to exclude the "USB KEY" from the Boot order, and restarted. This without any success, i.e. the problem remained.

Before finishing this post, I want to clarify that it is possible that the computer could have been exposed to some (minor) physical impact. This as the computer is a laptop, and as the occurence of me having bumped into something is possible (even though I can not recall doing so). In other words: Hardware-damage could be a possible explanation.

Also my computer is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 2540.

I would be most thankful for help in this matter. I give my highest props for anyone trying to help me out here!

Thanks!

Re: Problem booting Windows Vista ( \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys )

To fix the booting problems you mentioned in your Windows Vista running system, i would recommend you to Run chkdsk /f and scf /scannow. This will automatically fix the corrupted system files. Follow the below steps to perform the task:
    • Run a command prompt from the Vista Installation DVD Recovery Console.
    • Type chkdsk c:/f to try and fix the errors.
    • After check the disk then run scf /scannow to check system file corruptions.

Note: Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Vista boots