Thread: How to split a large partition in Vista without loosing data?

How to split a large partition in Vista without loosing data?

Hey Guys!
    I have Windows Vista installed in my computer. By mistake i created only two partitions when i wanted three partitions. The second partition is very large. I wan't to split the partition but the problem is i have data in that partition. Is it possible to split the partition without loosing data? Please help! I don't have any backup device or extra hard disk drive...! Thanks in advance!

Re: How to split a large partition in Vista without loosing data?

Hey!
    Well thats a great idea but i don't think that is possible! Well partitioning involves indexing the memory location that will resides in that partition so that every memory location colud be fetched correctly and has a valid address to do that. Only then this partition will be accessed and used for data savinf correctly... You cannot modify the index and trunk it and create a new index at other location! Basically it is not possible... But not sure thought!

Hey There!
    It is possible to split a large partition into two or more in Windows Vista. This was not possible till Windows XP. Well you can use windows disk management option. Then right-click on the partition that you want to splint into two. Then select Shrik Volume. Follow the on-screen instructions and you will get through... Its very easy..! All the best!

Hey!
    Yeah its possible. To know more on this topic check out microsoft's support page : See "4. How to repartition?" in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-7dda4fb110af or see this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc731894.aspx If you want to expand a partition see this : Expand the C partition in Vista without loss of data All the best!