Thread: I want to know about the iDisk Feature of Mac

I want to know about the iDisk Feature of Mac

I had seen one of my collegues showing me his holiday photo through his mobile, which he stored in his computer. He told that he is using the iDisk service of Apple. What is a iDisk. What does it actually mean. Do someone need to install a hardware for this. Is this service is also available in different OS also. It seems to be quiet interesting.

Pls reply.

Re: I want to know about the iDisk Feature of Mac

Apple provides a service of iDisk to all his MobileMe users. This enables them to get access to his photos, videos or personal data anywhere. The users get an 20Gb diskspace on standard subscription.

How can i get access to this service. What is the particular process to use this service.

MobileMe is also known as iTools. It is chargeable service which enables the user to use the collection of online services and softwares offered by Apple Inc. It join together with several tools on the iPhone and iPod touch.
    You can access to this feature through Internet.
    To get access and share your files, you have to copy the files in the Public Folder on your iDisk. Once the files are uploaded, you can give your MobileMe member name and Public folder password to your friends. They will get connected to your Public folder or either can use your file sharing page.

iDisk is an good feature of Apple. But it is very important that you don't give your MobileMe account password to anyone. Other than this, people can only need to know your member name and Public folder password to access you information.

You can also access your MobileMe Public folder through internet. The thing you have to do is,

Type http://public.me.com/membername in you browser.

There also a similar feature in Windows Vista also. It is called Map Network Drive.
    To access it do the following :
    Click on Start menu > and Computer.
    In the window click Map network drive on the toolbar.
    If you don't see Alt key on your keyboard to display the File menu, and then click Tools and choose Map Network Drive.
    Type the following URL in the folder field: http://public.me.com/membername (membername is the person's MobileMe member name).
    You need have the password to make changer to the folder.
    Then click finish.

Share your iDisk.
    Select Go > iDisk > My iDisk.
    Copy all the photos, videos or personal you want to share to the Public folder.
    If iDisk synchronization is turned on, be sure that the iDisk on your computer is synchronized with your iDisk on .Mac.

Enjoy.