Thread: XP does not start after using GPartEd

XP does not start after using GPartEd

Hi all!
    I have a dual boot Vista/XP on a raid 0 2xST3500320AS. After using Gparted Vista booted well(after repairing), I used Vista Boot Pro for boot editing but when I tried to enter XP....well, it entered but stopped on the welcome blue screen that reads "Windows XP Profesional" and it stayed frozen with no hdd activity, just blocked. Every time I try to enter XP, it happens the same. I tried Recovery console with fixboot. I tried repairing the instalation and still nothing I didn't try fixmbr because I'm afraid of doing anything wrong.
    PLS...anyone who could help me...
    Thanks

Re: XP does not start after using GPartEd

I had the same problem when installing XP after Vista. I got around it by entering my BIOS (at startup; you should see what key you should press to enter the BIOS at the first splash screen you get to at startup of your computer; mine was F2), and changing the operating mode of my hard drive controller, from AHCI to ATA, and that allowed me to install XP, no more BSOD. So try that, and see if your BIOS has an option to switch the operating mode from AHCI to ATA, or possibly AHCI to IDE, or "Compatibility mode", etc. Not all BIOSes have this feature, but most newer ones do.
    If this fixes the issue, you may want to consider installing the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" (you can Google it) in XP, if you can't boot into Vista with your operating mode set to ATA (or IDE). This should allow you to keep it set to AHCI, and still boot into both.

Hi,

Carefully check device name of your harddisk ( e.g. /dev/sda; use your device's name instead in the commandline below!)
    Click "Terminal" icon in "GParted", type at the prompt :
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    press [ENTER], done
    Shutdown "GParted" and try to reinstall XP.

hi,
    Try to boot into "last known good configuration" feature in xp.To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps: Start your computer.When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

It does not even have the option with F8 so I press F8 in vain when I select XP in the boot menu.
    I do not want to reinstall Xp
    It has worked for the last 6 month along with Vista until the GPartED crap....
    Whay does it freeze on the welcome screen? What could stop it?
    Is it the master boot record? Should I try fixmbr in recovery console?
    I tried chkdsk /p /r, fixboot, repairing it...all to no avail...

Thanks, it worked the f8 thing...i never used safe mode for xp and i saw that vista had the f8 option when selected in boot menu and xp did not have this option and that confused me...
    I entered safe mode and disable welcome screen and it worked after all. With the welcome screen on I just found out that waiting for 5 minutes, it finally passes it...I do not know why...
    Eventually I saw that gparted changed my xp drive letter and you know what that means....reinstall everything....
    That is all
    Thanks for the help