Thread: READ-ONLY problem on Linux 8.0 (SuSE)

ohmy READ-ONLY problem on Linux 8.0 (SuSE)

Hello Friends,

I'm running Linux 8.0 (SuSE) on one of my pc. The problem is that it doesn't bootup in normal way. Whenever i turn on my pc, it says that the HD can be just "READ-ONLY". But when i try to login, i'm able to get login to the system but can't do anything on it. Can any body tell me that what can i do to get rid of the above problem? Does any body knows about this issue? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue.

Thanks a lot.

Re: READ-ONLY problem on Linux 8.0 (SuSE)

I think you must check out the followings for the above problem.

a) It might be some Hardware problem or hard disk problem, for that check your hard disk for errors.

b) High disk I/O alias busy I/O retry error can mark low level disk can be failed. This will force ext3 to go into read only mode.

c) High disk I/O on SAN.

d) SAN is not configured properly for the path failover.

In all sort of problems ext3 goes read-only to protect the filesystem and further damage. If you are using VMWARE on your pc.

There are a couple of different approaches which makes a Linux system read-only. Unfortunately, it is usually not as simple as using a conventional file system mounted with the read-only option. Many programs assume that at least some parts of the system are writable. In some cases, these programs will fail to run correctly if this turns out not to be the case.

Live CDs typically have read-only access to a root filesystem, which is often compressed into a single file to be mounted later using a loopback device.

Try to check out your kernel log. I think it may be some of your system files which might cause the kernel to pop in the read only mode. heck out with the help of this command.
    dmesg | grep -i panic
    Whether any of your system file might causing any problem. If you find lot of files related to the disk then copy all the files you can to another disk. Try to use dosfsck to fix the FAT partition in order to have a proper FAT32 filesystem on your pc.