Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 "Application Data" folder missing

Windows 7 "Application Data" folder missing

Hey Guys!
    I have a problem with my Windows 7 Build 7000. I haven't checked with other builds as this one is what i got from microsoft and is considered as "Legal". I have two questions :
    • In my windows 7 "Application Data" folder is missing
    • Where does firefox profiles are saved on Windows 7

In Windows XP the Firefox profile is located in the following location : "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox" This location has the profile folder as well as profile.ini file which i assume is for its settings. Well i cannot find this location in Windows 7. I just installed windows 7 and wan't to move my firefox settings in Windows 7. But i cannot find the location where to. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance...!

Re: Windows 7 "Application Data" folder missing

Hey!
    Application Data is an important folder of the windows architecture. It isn't missing. In windows 7 the name has just changed to AppData. You can find this folder at the following location :
    C:\Users\User\AppData
    Hope this helps you...! All the best...!

Hey!
    Thanks for that swift reply of yours...! I found the folder which is renamed to AppData in Windows 7. Windows 7 is quite tricky. A lot ot learn yet. But can anyone help me with the firefox folder? I couldn't find Firefox or Mozilla folder in th AppData folder... How do i move my settings to Windows 7? Thanks again!

Hey!
    Well you could have used the search feature of Windows 7 once you were in the AppData Folder. You could have fount it easily. The Profiles folder and profiles.ini files are located in the following location in Windows 7 :
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
    Hope this is useful..! All the best...!

I just upgraded to Windows 7. Actually, I just had to recover back to factory and reinstall. I honestly don't have this folder: C:\Users\User\AppData. I am trying to copy over my FF bookmarks and it's nowhere!

The first thing you need to do is change your view in order to see the folder. So first Launch Windows Explorer. Follow these steps

1) Select "Organize" in the upper left corner
    2) Go to "Layout" and then "File Menu"

This will display the menu bar. Select "Tools" then "Folder Options"
    Select the "General" tab go to the "Navigation Pane" section and select "Show all folders".

You will now see the Appdata folder under each user created on the machine.

Hope this helps,
    heperez

Thanks for the advice, I have tried changing the folder options to show all folders yet my AppData folder is not there. Yet when I log into Thunderbird, it insists that this is where my mail is being stored.

Does anyone know how one can revert to a proper window file setup and not this W7 crap look?
    I have XP running on my desktop and there it is no problem to find these files.!
    Please can someone help as I need to find the stupid folder in this stupid W7 so that I can transfer all of my emails from my desktop into this folder!

Thanks

idea Re: Windows 7 "Application Data" folder missing

Hey, I had the same problem.

I did the show all folders thing, but you've also got to press on 'view' in the folder options, and press show hidden files. Which is half way down the advance settings bit.

Hope I explained this well enough.

blush Re: Windows 7 "Application Data" folder missing

Mines not missing, I just can't work out how to access it through windows explorer.

I have AppData i.e. I went to save a MS Office word (2007) document and it automatically opened the AppData folder. I accidently saved the doc to the folder, which wasn't such a bad thing, although I want to access the folder now and when I am go into the 'users' folder then into "myname" folder, the AppData folder doesn't display. Is it a hidden folder or some such thing?

With the "myname" folder open, I right clicked in the windows explorer screen and selected 'properties' and noticed the attributes was set to 'read only' and that the size was 18.8gb. I unchecked the box and hit 'apply', then the 'Confirm Attribute Changes' window displayed with the blue dot next to 'Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files' and I pushed 'OK' and it started the process. Albeit I cancelled the process just after it started, after considering the 18gb of data it was going to affect, having decided it was best I didn't mess about with this setting, not knowing whether it would actually display the AppData folder.

The only way I've worked out how to gain a form of access to AppData folder is by choosing 'save as' again, as the previously mentioned document is still open, though I'd like to open the folder in windows explorer.

I've tried searching the file name and the word appdata (or AppData) in both the W7 search function and windows explorer search function, but to no avail.

Any suggestions? Sorry if I'm hijacking this post, thought it was relevant.

Yes this is true the Application data folder which you are looking for is Hidden which can be access from the Tools menu. Just click on the Tools and then get into the Folder option and click on to View tab which will display two option. Don not show file and Show All files and Folders. Select the Show All Files and Folder" option and your folder will be visible.

It took me a while, but here is the way to access the AppData folder for each user in Windows 7:

1) Open Windows Explorer (Start\All Programs\ Accessories)

2) In Windows Explorer go to Computer\"driveletter"\users\"username"

3) With "username" highlighted, click "Organize" (top left of Windows Explorer window) and then select "Folder and Search Options"

4) Check the "Show All Folders" box in the General tab

5) Go to the "View" tab

6) Click the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" radio button

The AppData folder should now show up in at least the right hand pane of Windows Explorer, but may not be initially visible in the left hand folder pane. Not to worry, just double click the file name in the right hand pane and it will then show up in the folder pane and remains sticky.

re: midhenry 's reply post in regards to error

OMG FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone who has taken the time to relay those instructions properly !
    It finally has worked for me and I am ever so grateful

I can really use some help and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I went to my C:/Users/
    I right clicked on my username, properties, tried to change permissions so I can add files into appdata there, some process began and then I got an error saying I need admin access...... and now, I can't see my username. It vanished.
    C:/Users/ contains Public and my admin account, but my main username is missing.

Also, I tried: Open Windows Explorer (Start\All Programs\ Accessories)
    and I just noticed, I have NO Accessories folder. It is also missing.
    -------------------------
    So In control panel, I selected show all hidden folders and now I can see my User/Username folder but it shows a lock on it. And my accessories are back.
    But now I am worried I messed up permissions to my system folder and might give access to Trojans and viruses.

What permissions should I have checked for:
    SYSTEM
    Home Users (I dont remember seeing this before)
    My Username
    Administrators

Only reason I did this was because I was trying to add some presets into photoshop and their default location is in the appdata/roaming folder which I could not access.

Please help....
    Last edited by trails136; 04-07-2010 at 04:23 PM.

my appdata folder is missing... how can i get it..?

Quote Originally Posted by vivek kumar barnwal View Post
    my appdata folder is missing... how can i get it..?
    You just need to press Windows Logo Key + R, type:

%appdata%

Also, I would like to tell you why you were not able to see it, because it is just that it is a HIDDEN system folder. You can view these by opening Windows Explorer (to any folder), then pressing ALT on the keyboard (to show the Menu Bar), then click Tools, then Folder Options. Click the View Tab, then select thoe "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" Radio Button, and click OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast