Thread: Explorer in Mac OS X?

Explorer in Mac OS X?

Hello Friends, I have bought a MacBook Pro and i need some help. This is the first time i am using a Mac. I don't know what i can do with a Mac now as i just bought it without thinking. I can use the safari browser and use my flash drives. There is nothing to browse files. Is there something like Explorer in Mac OS X? Where do i install softwares? How do i install it? Any help would be appreciated...

Re: Explorer in Mac OS X?

Windows Operating system using the file browser or desktop shell which is known as explorer. In Mac there is no Explorer. But the file and folder browser which is known as Finder. The Finder lets you organize, view, and access practically everything on your Mac, including applications, files, folders, discs, SD memory cards, and shared drives on your network. It is represented by a blue smiling face icon on the Dock. The Finder has been completely rewritten using the modern Cocoa framework in Mac OS X, taking advantage of the new technologies in Snow Leopard--including 64-bit support and Grand Central Dispatch. The familiar Finder interface is unchanged, but you will discover the Finder is faster and more responsive. It also includes an enhanced icon view with live file previews, so you can thumb through a multipage document or even watch a QuickTime movie. This is similar to windows film strip view but in windows, you do not have live preview. But this support is present in Ubuntu Linux...

Ok, So in short, Finder is Mac explorer like a windows explorer in Windows. Thanks for the help, I have Snow Leopard and no doubt its super fast. But i don't know much about it. Can you help me with the Applications or softwares? How do i know which file is for Mac and how do i install it? I have downloaded some softwares. Some softwares have .mpkg extension and some have .dmg extension, also there are some softwares which have .app extension. Which files are installer and which files are executable like .exe in windows. Thanks again...

Here is the file extension help for you :
    .dmg files - Disk Image, Double click on it and it will mount on desktop. In there there would be other file types :
    .mpkg - Mac Software Packages, Double click to install, similar to .msi in windows.
    .app - Applications, executable files in Mac, Copy these files directly yo Finder > Application folder. Simply double click to run.
    All the softwares will be installed in Application folder which can be accessed from Finder > Application on left hand side pane. If you have .app files copy them to Application folder and then run it by double clicking...