Thread: Using the ComboFix on Windows 2003 Server

Using the ComboFix on Windows 2003 Server

I heard about ComboFix somewhere and i liked it the way it keeps computer safe from malware . I am using Windows server 2003 and wanna run ComboFix on Server 2003.

I don't know how to run it. Could any one of you help me out in this case? Please...

Re: Using the ComboFix on Windows 2003 Server

Well first of all, you need to download ComboFix if you don't have. When ComboFix has finished downloading you will now see a Red icon on your desktop.

Now for running ComboFix :
    • Close all open Windows including this one.
    • Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.

Double-click on the ComboFix icon found on your desktop. Remember that once you start ComboFix you should not click anywhere on the ComboFix window as it can cause the program to stall. In fact, when ComboFix is running, do not touch your computer at all. The scan could take a while.

Once you double click on the ComboFix icon, click on the Run button to continue. If you are using Windows Vista, and receive UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.

Now you will see the first ComboFix screen in blue color command scrren.

ComboFix is now preparing to run and when it has finished you will see the Disclaimer

If you do not agree to the disclaimer, then click on the No button to exit the program. Otherwise, to continue you should press the Yes button to continue. If you decided to continue, then ComboFix will create a System Restore point so that if any problems occur while using the program you can restore back to your previous configuration. When ComboFix has finished creating the restore point, it will then backup your Windows Registry

Once the Windows Registry has finished being backed up, ComboFix will attempt to detect if you have the Windows Recovery Console installed. If you already have it installed, you can skip to this section and continue reading

follow the steps and instructions given by ComboFix in order to finish the installation of the Recovery Console. Once it has finished installing, you will be presented with the screen asking continue to scanning malware.

You should now press the Yes button to continue. If at any time during the Recovery Console installation you receive a message stating that it failed to install, please allow ComboFix to continue with the scan of your computer. When it is done, and a log has been created, you can then perform the manual install of the Recovery Console using the steps found in the Manually installing the Windows Recovery Console section.

ComboFix will now disconnect your computer from the Internet, so do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet. When ComboFix has finished it will automatically restore your Internet connection.

ComboFix will now start scanning your computer for known infections. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.

While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to their previous settings. You will also see the text in the ComboFix window being updated as it goes through the various stages of its scan.

At the time of this writing there are a total of 41 stages as shown in the image below, so please be patient. The amount of stages will go up as time goes on, so if the amount of stages is different when you run it, please do not be concerned.

When ComboFix has finished running, you will see a screen stating that it is preparing the log report

This can take a while, so please be patient. If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.

When ComboFix has finished, it will automatically close the program and change your clock back to its original format. It will then display the log file automatically for you

Thats it...

thanks for the tutorial friend !! I really needed this ...

Thank you

very lengthy but mush useful info... Thanks buddy for sharing this useful info..

very lengthy but mush useful info... Thanks buddy for sharing this useful info..

Plz tell me from which site i have to download combofix for win 2003 server.

It is a malware removal tools which had received good users feedback. It founds the infection and tries to clean the infection automatically. It is made to remove a large amount of the most common and latest malware. The download link below gives you a setup file to get the software for server 2003.
    ComboFix for server 2003

DOES ANYONE knows the difference between a Server OS and Workstation OS???
    We are talking about Windows Server 2003, as far as I know Combofix DOES NOT work on any server OS

Quote Originally Posted by abemiami View Post
    DOES ANYONE knows the difference between a Server OS and Workstation OS???
    We are talking about Windows Server 2003, as far as I know Combofix DOES NOT work on any server OS
    I agree that most anti-spyware tools only works for windows xp or windows vista or windows 7 only. However I think that SDFix or maybe Flash Disinfector would definately work on the server 2003. In any case do you know about some antivirus software's that can be used flawlessly on server 2003.

That can be due to limitation provided by the administrator. You have to first checkout that you got a full access to the system. Or else right click on the application shortcut and then click on run as. In that choose administrator and then run the tool. If this work then fine or else you have to checkout account settings.

angry Re: Using the ComboFix on Windows 2003 Server

What are you talking about Willys? I am the administrator, stop guessing, if you know it works because you have used it then make comments like otherwise don't misslead others......