Thread: Device Manager with no items!

Device Manager with no items!

Hello,

I'm using windows xp sp3, till yesterday everything was working great but suddenly today when i observed that the network connection icon is not showing up in taskbar i went to Network Connections in control panel and its full empty , so i checked the device manage and its also full empty. whats causing this problem? any virus? please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Device Manager with no items!

Have you scan your system fully with anti-virus you using? If you have the installation cd then take backup of necessary data and do a Repair Install.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Hi, I had the same problem for the last few days, but I've finally found the solution to the problem. I think this is definitely a glitch in the Windows XP OS because we all came across the same problem through different actions. I wasn't installing any new software, hardware, or was even on the internet, for that matter. All I did was scan for adware and viruses ! -- it happened.

So how to fix this damn problem... Go to START --> RUN --> 'services.msc' . Here is a list of all the services that XP disabled on its own. Go through it an enable all of them (some you can skip if you know you won't use it) and don't forget to start them as well, or else they won't work. (right click on service-->"start")

I have all of hardware back, including sound, and Win XP looks sleek and nice again, but there are still problems here and there. First of all, you'll never get those system restore points back because Win XP is a jackass. Second of all, I'm having trouble starting my firewall or connecting to the internet (wi-fi, 56k), but I don't know if that's because I'm not at my house where I have LAN, or if I need to re-install some applications or services from my recovery disk. And finally, there are still some services that after enabled cannot be started for some odd reason. Windows error says that the device or service connected to the said service is not enabled, but that doesn't make sense since I've enabled all of them, so there are still glitches in the system. I hope this helped some.

To resolve this behavior, set the startup type for Plug and Play to Automatic. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. Double-click Plug and Play.

If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK.
    3. In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK.
    4. Close Services.
    5. Restart the computer.

For more refer to this Microsoft Guide: No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It

Check the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/ENUM

Right-click ENUM > Permissions

Make sure "SYSTEM" has "Full Control".