Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop icons position does not remember in windows 7

Desktop icons position does not remember in windows 7

HI,

I have little but very strange problem with my Desktop Icons. The problem is that whenever I set the position of mine windows desktop icon it remains still until I leave the desktop as soon as i go to the different location or when i restart my computer all the desktop icons leaves their position and becomes sparse everywhere.

please suggest!!!

thanks

Re: Desktop icons position does not remember in windows 7

1.Open regedit and check for a DWORD value "NoSaveSettings" in right-side pane under following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions
    The DWORD value must present in any of above mentioned locations, most probably in the last one.

2.Once you find the DWORD value, delete it and restart your system. It'll solve your problem and Windows will remember your desktop settings.

you can save you desktop icon layout and restore them to the exact positions before they were rearranged by Windows, easily with a right click of the mouse.

- First, you will need to download layout.zip from here. After download has completed, unzip layout.zip to your desktop (or folder of your choice).

- Next, copy Layout.dll to C:\Windows\System32 (for Windows XP and Vista) or C:\WINNT\System32 (for older versions of Windows).

- Now double click the file Layout.reg file to automatically add the appropriate changes to your registry.

- If not already, layout the icons on your desktop to the position you want them saved. Then right click on the Recycle Bin and select "Save Desktop Icon Layout".

The icon positions are now saved.

NOTE: Make sure you see the pop up "Desktop Icon Settings Saved" which will verify the desktop layout has been saved. If you do not see the message, right click and select "Save Desktop Icon Layout" again.

Next time Windows rearranges the icon layout again, you can restore the layout by right clicking either:

* My Computer
    * Network Neighborhood (My Network Places),
    * Recycle Bin

and select "Restore Desktop Icon Layout" to restore the layout back to the way you previously saved it.

You can move the icons around freely, however whenever you want them restored to their original saved positions, right click on Recycle Bin, Network Neighborhood, or My Computer again and select "Restore Desktop Icon Layout" to save the new desktop layout.

I read this in another forum and it worked for me, much simpler than any convoluted process that MS recommends. After arranging your desktop icons, right click on desktop and select "Refresh." I have tested it, and you will have to refresh every time you move an icon. Obviously, it shouldn't be necessary to do it, but we will have to live with it.

HELP!!!
    at VITUS:
    I have just installed Windows 7... and have also the Problem to cvan not save Iconposition.
    Now i followed your advice and looked all the registryentries.
    For example:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
    I don`t HAVE that entry!!!
    and all THE OTHERS too are NOT present!
    What is wrong?
    Please help!
    Also to SWETLANO:
    I followed YOUR advice... and have that dll configured.
    But it can not save icon positions.
    I downloaded a few tools for saving iconpositions, but: Not one of them can DO.
    I am helpless
    Greetz, Cosmo

Hello there, your system must be missing the file, that helps to set the desktop icons in position. This is why the desktop icons position does not remember in windows 7. You will have to search for this file on the internet. It is called layout.zip. Install the same in your system and your problem will be surely solved.

Hey Glenny!
    Thx for your Help but may be you did not see what i wrote up there:

"I followed YOUR advice... and have that dll configured.
    But it can not save icon positions."

With "that dll" i meant the Layout.dll.
    Must be some other error....
    Anyway; Thank you!
    Cosmo

1. Open regedit and check for a DWORD value "NoSaveSettings" (without the quotation marks) in the right-side pane under one of the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions

2. rename the value (you can put an "x" in front of the name).
    3. Close the registry, shut down, and then restart your machine. The desktop icons will remain in place.

Hi there

I had this problem for a while now and non of above helped...
    But lately after fiddeling with my display settings i caused my drivers to crash.
    I uninstalled all the driver i have prevoiusly installed (original and from omegadrivers.net) and rebooted.
    I than allowed OS to install those drivers it had in its repository.
    At this point my icons started to behave properly (remembered where they should be)
    After installing drivers of my choice they still keep beeing in the place i left them. It also fixed problems with not remembering my screen resolution (maybe same thing causes both?).

So if nothing from above fixes your problem (as for me id didnt) this shuld. Or at lest it may be another possibility

PS:
    GPU: GF by Zotac on Omegadrivers.

Perform a system restore and then check for the same. It will be helpful for you and hence you can make the required change that is essential. It will be helpful and you can then process for the aspect as it is necessary. So do check out and work as required.

Try to put some New Icons on your desktop.
    By this way you force windows to make a new dektop,
    and saves the position of your Icons.
    This helped for me.
    Grts The John

This does not work on Windows 7 Enterprise, SP 1. The option mentioned above does not appear on the right click of Recycle Bin. I also tried Computer and Desktop but it is not there either.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyq View Post
    This does not work on Windows 7 Enterprise, SP 1. The option mentioned above does not appear on the right click of Recycle Bin. I also tried Computer and Desktop but it is not there either.
    You have to download the layout.zip file from here, and then only it will work for you. If nothing is working out for you then it surely seems to be a virus issue, hence you may test the issue in Safe Mode and Clean Boot first. I also suggest you create a new user account to test the issue. The user profile issue also can cause such issue.

I did download it from there. I also downloaded it from another place and they were identical. I don't have any virus's. I always do a Clean Boot.

Have you tried it on Windows 7 Enterprise, SP 1?

As far as i know that the Design of the Windows 7 is somewhat like that which is compatible to save the alignment of icons which you have configured on the Desktop but it remains as it is only upon proper shutdown and restart. However improper shutdown, sudden reboot and random freezes can prevent it from saving the desktop layout. The best things you can do is try a third party tools or utility from Stardock like Fences or object Dock. You can design animated desktop layout according to your needs.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast