Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows XP compress drive?

Operating Systems

Old 17-04-2009

Windows XP compress drive?

Hello,

I am having a low specs PC with XP , and the performance is very poor I've run chkdsk and defragged the disk and cleaned up the registry but same result in performance,so whether i can gain anything by compressing the disk? Do compressing can increasing PC performance?

Thanks for any sugesstions

Old 17-04-2009

Re: Windows XP compress drive?

Compression doesn't spped up the performance it only saves space. To increase performance , Right-click on an NTFS drive and select properties. At the bottom of the dialog that pops up you will see two check boxes called ?Compress drive to save disk space? and ?Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching?. Uncheck both check boxes and click ?Apply?.
Old 17-04-2009

To speed up windows XP, refer to following threads:

http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/381299.htm
Increase Performance of Windows XP Operating system
http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/3829.htm
Increase the Disk Cache Size to Improve Performance in Windows

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"
Old 17-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preetish View Post
Hello,

I am having a low specs PC with XP , and the performance is very poor I've run chkdsk and defragged the disk and cleaned up the registry but same result in performance,so whether i can gain anything by compressing the disk? Do compressing can increasing PC performance?

Thanks for any sugesstions
It really depends on what you want to sacrifice and what you want to do with it. I don't think drive compression is a good idea unless you have a decent processor and it frees a lot of needed space. I would of installed something like a minimal installation of Windows 2000. Then go through and uninstall programs, stop services, check start up locations, and whatever else you don't want. From there I would start tweaking.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,