Thread: Editing install.wim file ?

Editing install.wim file ?

Hello , Can You tell me How Can i edit File Format having .wim Extension , Actually I have install.wim file which i want to edit but i dont have related software to perform this operation so can you please tell me how can i edit this install.wim file Thanks in Advance

Re: Editing install.wim file ?

Hello , To edit install.wim you can use a command line window to navigate to the folder in which the WAIK tool ximage.exe is found.You use Ximage's mount (view only) and mountwr (read/write) commands to accomplish this. If your install.wim file is stored in C:\images and you want to mount the image in C:\mount, you'd use the following command:

ximage /mountwr c:\mount c:\images\install.wim 1

Now, you can customize the image, in place, by simply navigating through its file structure in Windows ExplorerIf you want to add files or even entire directory structures to the resulting Windows installation, simply add them wherever appropriate within the mounted imageWhen you finish making changes to the image, unmount the image--which removes it from the namespace of the Windows shell on your PC--and save your changes (if any). To unmount the image without saving any changes, simply type the following command:

ximage /unmount c:\mount

Typically, you'll want to save the changes, however, so you'll need to add the commit command to the previous command-line sequence. If you use the following command sequence, ximage will write the changes back to the original file

ximage /unmount /commit c:\mount

Before you edit an image, you should make a copy of it and edit the copy. This, after all, is one of the biggest benefits of image-based deployment tools. Because the images are single files, they're easy to manipulate in the file system.

Re: Editing install.wim file ?

Hello .The only one absolutely nessesary requirement is WAIK(Windows Automated Installation Kit).GimageX needs WAIK(specifically ImageX)to work.Its purpose is same as ImageX-s but you can get the job done using graphical interface(istead of command line enviroment of ImageX).