Thread: How to enable/install Ubuntu Beryl

How to enable/install Ubuntu Beryl

Recently i saw a video on You Tube of comparing Vista Aero & Ubuntu Beryl.

My question is that how we can enable or install beryl in Ubuntu...!

Here is the link where i saw the video over it... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

Dr. V Guest

Re: How to enable/install Ubuntu Beryl

There are guides everywhere >.>....it there on the pinned topics...but i suggest not installing it right away...if you came to linux to just see it, then i recommend just trying sabayon instead.... getting beryl to work is really a kerfuffle.

Tutorial to install BERYL EFFECTS

Beryl is an OpenGL accelerated desktop that seeks to provide a free, open source desktop experience to the community that reflects the wishes of the users. Above all else, the project seeks to listen to and respond to the requests of the user base.

Beryl is a combined window manager and composite manager written in C using OpenGL to provide acceleration. It is designed to be highly flexible, extensible, and portable, all the while keeping in mind that the users know how they want their desktops to act better than we do. With Beryl the rather esoteric concept of the computer desktop is brought down to a more human level, allowing for a more native and intuitive understanding of your workspace.
    Nvidia have released their 9xxx series drivers.Tis allows compiz/beryl to now run directly on an x server (xorg7.1) without separate aiglx or xgl.

Note:- First you need to remove all existing xgl/aiglx from your system

Preparing Your system

You need to make sure you system is up-to-date using the following

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Adding Source list

you need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list file

sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following line for the latest beryl (Both i386&64 bit)

deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org feisty main

Save file and exit

Copy the key file using the following command

wget http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/root@lupine.me.uk.gpg -O- sudo apt-key add -

Now you need to update the source list using the following command

sudo apt-get update

Install nvidia drivers in Ubuntu Feisty

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite

Now you need to restart your X by logging out and in or by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace

Install Beryl in Ubuntu Feisty

sudo apt-get install beryl emerald-themes

Now you need to type the following command in terminal or run application box by pressing alt+f2

beryl-manager

Feisty’s Desktop Effects are driven by software called Compiz, originally developed at Novell. Last year some enterprising hackers working on Compiz decided to fork (that is, split off from, using existing code as a starting point) the project, and came up with their own offering, Beryl. The two projects are actually slated to merge their efforts back into one program later this year, but in the meantime, if Desktop Effects work reliably on your machine, chances are the latest version of Beryl will work too. And Beryl is far more impressive–and far more configurable–than Desktop Effects.

To test-drive Beryl, first disable Feisty’s Desktop Effects in System/Preferences/Desktop Effects. Now open a Terminal window (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) and enter the following command:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Add the following line to the top of the text file that comes up for editing:

Save the file and quit. Now back on the command line, issue the following three commands, one at a time:

wget http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/root@lupine.me.uk.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager emerald-themes heliodor beryl-manager
    beryl-manager
    There should now be a shiny red gem appearing in the notification area (Windows refugees, think “system tray”) near the upper right of your screen. Right-clicking that icon gives you several useful options.

Select Window Manager lets you switch among Beryl, Compiz, or Metacity (the default, plain-vanilla window manager for Gnome). Select Window Decorator affects how the frames of windows are drawn. Select Emerald, and you’ll get window frames designed with Beryl in mind. (See Emerald Theme Manager, also in the red gem’s menu, for more of these.) Select Heliodor, and you’ll get plain window borders imported from Metacity.

Selecting Beryl Settings Manager will bring up the labyrinthine configuration dialog box for Beryl. Warning: If you’re a settings geek, you will lose a few hours of your life here. Take note of where you can assign functions to the corners of the screen: Select General Options along the top and Shortcuts along the right, and then click the Screen Edges tab. The horribly named ‘Initiate Window Picker for All Workspaces’ function is the equivalent of Mac OS X’s Exposé feature–task-switching nirvana, if you ask me.

If Beryl runs stably and you’d like it enabled every time you log in, select System, Preferences, Sessions. On the Startup Programs tab, click New. Enter beryl-manager in both text-entry fields and click OK. Now click Close.

everything was going smoothly until i ran into a error 404 at this command

wget http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/root@lupine.me.uk.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

is there an alternative web address? sorry if this seems noobish but most of what i find googling is a couple years old.