Thread: C:\$Secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility

C:\$Secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility

Hello to all. I apologize for not writing with stress at the moment.

I need help with my laptop HP DV5020.

The problem and it follows: Windows XP started to see a pop-up message in the lower right corner of the screen and said "The file or directory C: \ $ Secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility". I continued using the computer to reset and it was no longer possible to enter Windows. In opening the boot, it appears that the WinXP loading screen and after 2 seconds a blue screen saying I need to run chkdsk, and it hangs.

Attempts:
    1) Any option to boot WinXP (Secure mode, last known configuration, etc) has the same blue screen.
    2) I tried to open the boot disk as the CD of WinXP (to try to chkdsk), and the BART PE Hirens BootCD and will not work because after booting the CD in the boot just hangs - as if my HD is not recognized, the screen is black, with nothing in writing and to read the CD.

A detailed history on this computer: About a few months ago there was a drop of energy and burned both my stabilizer and a 1GB memory card of the laptop. My WinXP got several errors on startup in which doing so could resolve a reinstallation of the system "on top" of WinXP corrupted. After this episode, with a new RAM, the system worked well except for the chkdsk run automatically every time you boot Windows - and fought to implement the second part of tests of chkdsk, I had to cancel it every time before lock.

My configuration of hard disk:
    Bootloader - Grub
    100 Gb hard disk, where:
    - 80 Gb - partition 1 - Windows XP
    - 20 Gb - partition 2 - openSUSE Linux 11

The openSUSE works normally, I'm even using it to write in the forum now. I can access my partition of Windows, Linux by mounting it and with that I have done the necessary backups.

Any idea? Is that if I reinstall WinXP on the corrupt will solve? Or is it just formatting and starting "from scratch"?

I await suggestions ..

Re: C:\$Secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility

Hi,

You can try this :

Go to Start>Run>type: cmd,
    press Enter and
    then type: chkntfs /x c: and press Enter.

Restart and see what you get.

According to http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;246026
    you might have a damaged NTFS MFT - and the only way it says to fix hat is to backup everything except the correct files/dirs, reformat, and restore.

Shell Sanith Guest

Thanks everyone, I ran chkdsk in multiple modes, and didn't pick up anything at all. In the meantime, the error messages began to appear more frequently. Still no actual problems appearing in the system, though.

Reformatted and reloaded my Ghost image, and everything appears to be okay so far. Rather weird problem, tho.

Thanks for everyone's help!