Thread: How to Use Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7

How to Use Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7

I am new to Windows 7 OS. Its really a nice OS with lots of useful features. I regularly use Disk Defragmenter in my other operating systems like Vista and XP to keep my maintain my computer and its files.

So i would like to continue it with Windows 7 as well, but i don't know how to turn it on in windows 7. Could you all guys help me out in windows 7?

Re: How to Use Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7

Microsoft has changed the way the operating system handles disk defragmentation in Windows 7. Microsoft developers have written a lengthy post on the Engineering Windows 7 blog explaining how fragmentation occurs, how modern hardware like high capacity hard drives changes things, and how Windows 7 differs from Windows Vista and Windows XP when it comes to defragging your hard drive.

Anyways.. to turn on Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter Schedule, follow this steps:-

1. Open the Start Menu, and click on All Programs, Accessories, System Tools

2. The User Account Control asks you to approve the use of this tool before you continue. Click Continue, and it appears.

3. You can schedule defragmentation sessions for times that are convenient to your schedule. If you click Modify Schedule, another window appears that permits you to set frequency

4. Click on the Turn on schedule button

5. Check the Run on a Schedule box.

6. Choose the frequency, day, time, and disks to be used for the schedule.

7. Once you set up a schedule, the Disk Defragmenter updates and displays the new next scheduled run. Of course, you can deselect this option by checking the radio box.

You can also manually defragment your drive; this isn’t as hard as it sounds! Simply click Defragment Now and the procedure starts. The progress is measured across the bottom of the tool.

Once defragmentation is complete, you should notice a clear difference in performance. Applications should launch faster; folders should open faster, and so on.

Dr. V Guest

To turn off the Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7:-

• Open the Start Menu, and click on All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and Disk Defragmenter.
    • Click on the Configure schedule button.
    • Uncheck the Run on a Schedule box.
    • Click on OK.
    • Click on the Close button.

Windows 7 also adds the ability to defragment multiple volumes simultaneously, and the operating system will automatically disable defragmentation on any solid state disk since there's no need to defragment flash memory and continued write access to the disk could actually shorten its life

The Disk Deframenter .exe file is located at C:\Windows\System32\dfrgui.exe. but remember Solid State Drives (SSD) do not need to be defragmented. Doing so may shorten the lifespan of the SSD drive.