Thread: Windows Explorer and Installer Crashing In Windows 7

Windows Explorer and Installer Crashing In Windows 7

I like Windows 7 much for its advanced features. But i am disappointed with its Crashing of Windows Explorer. I faced crashing of Windows Explorer and msiexec.exe when i was trying to start Windows Update or install anything that uses an MSI.

Do you have any solution or idea regarding this ?

Re: Windows Explorer and Installer Crashing In Windows 7

Yeah .. many windows 7 users have faced this problem while trying to install Microsoft Office, Windows Update or any other installer that was using Microsoft’s MSI installer to install or update software.Microsoft deployed a configuration change which exposed this (installer) problem. New machines installing Windows 7 Beta will not experience this problem.

Anyways...To solve crashing of Windows Explorer and Windows installer in Windows 7 , follow these steps:-
    1. Click on the Windows Start button , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

2. Right-click Command Prompt, and from the opened context menu select Run as administrator.

3. In the User Account Control(UAC) prompt, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.

4. In the elevated Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:
      reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\Disabled Sessions /va /f
    5. Press Enter to install the solution.

6. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the elevated Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If “ERROR: Access is denied” displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator

Thats it.. It will fix the crashing problem

Try this also once you are done with the above procedure:-
    • Start the Group Policy Editor in Windows 7 by run gpedit.msc in the start menu search field.

• Expand Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System,/Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.

• In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.

WOW! thanks for this solution friend!

This was the only problem really affecting my work with Windows 7.
    I’m very relieved that it’s now finally working!!!!!!