Thread: How to run a format on Windows XP

How to run a format on Windows XP

Hello,

I need to know a way to run format on my Windows XP Pro machine. For that I have already created a dos start up floppy and created a command.com but whne I try to enter the command I get an error saying that it is a bad command. So is it the correct way or did I forgot anything in the method that was suggested. Please help me. Thank you
    Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

Re: How to run a format on Windows XP

Have you read properly from the MS Article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

Step1
    Back up the data that is on the hard drive you want to format. Reformatting your hard drive will remove all of the data on the hard drive, so back up anything you want to keep.

Step2
    Click "Start" on the lower left-hand corner of the screen while running Windows XP, and click "Run." This will open the "Run" prompt.

Step3
    Enter "cmd" in the text field. Hit "Enter" or click "OK." This will open the DOS command prompt.

Step4
    Type "format c:\" into the command prompt and hit "Enter." The computer will begin to format the hard drive.

Step5
    Insert the disk which contains the Operating System you want to install onto your computer after the hard drive has reformatted. Install the OS.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

format C:\

if that doesnt work type format /? for other formatting commands. You can execute the command from a command while logged into Windows but cant format Windows while using it, if that makes sense... Start>cmd> format /? for more advice.