Thread: Problem while running System File Checker

ohmy Problem while running System File Checker

Hey Guys,

I had installed Windows Xp Service Pack 2 on my system. The problem is that when i use system file checker in "sfc /scannow", i don't get any result shown on my pc. I don't understand why i'm having such problem on my pc. Can any one help me out to resolve the above issue? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Problem while running System File Checker

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair its contents.

To run the system file checker press Start, Run, and then type in SFC, followed by its options.

The most common usage of SFC is this: SFC /scannow

This causes SFC to scan your system immediately. SFC can take a few minutes to run. As I said above, have your installation CD or equivalent available in case SFC needs to replace a damaged file. While it's not documented anywhere, if SFC replaces any system files, I'd reboot. I just like to make absolutely certain that the file replacement actually takes effect.

To start using SFC, go to Start--> Run, and type cmd in the Open box, then click OK to open a command prompt. Here you can using the command sfc with any of the switches indicated above (most of the time you'll be using sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc).

What you can do to eliminate this is to copy the I386 folder from your Windows XP CD to your hard drive. Just copy the whole folder to your hard drive. Note that it'll take some 500 MB in size, but with today's large hard drives this shouldn't be a problem. If you didn't get a Windows CD when you purchased your computer, it is likely that this folder will already be on your hard drive.

The next step is to let Windows know where to find the files. Follow these steps:

1. Start the Registry Editor
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Setup
    3. Double click the value SourcePath in the right pane, and enter the location where you copied the I386 folder (probably you copied the folder in the root of your C drive, thus the value would be C:\.
    4. Close the registry editor, and log off from Windows, or restart your computer for the setting to take effect.

Windows will keep track of updated system files that are introduced through the "normal" channels, such as Windows Update, Windows Service Pack installation using Update.exe, Hotfixes installed using Hotfix.exe or Update.exe and Operating system upgrades using Winnt32.exe.

Dr. V Guest

If Resolutions suggestion does not help you may need to do a Repair install.

• Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS.
    • Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot.
    • Boot from the xp cd and choose install.
    • Ignore the first repair option and continue with install.
    • When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair then do the repair.

If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install