Thread: Gnome panel does not load at startup in Ubuntu

Gnome panel does not load at startup in Ubuntu

Hey!
    I have Ubuntu 8.10. I recently updated my ubuntu when it prompted me that there are software updates available...! But after it downloaded and installed the updates it asked to reboot so that update changes could take place. When the computer started, it does not load the gnome panel... Sometimes it loads the gnome panel when i try to end session and start a new session again and sometimes it wouldn't load...! Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance...!

Re: Gnome panel does not load at startup in Ubuntu

Hey!
    In run dialog box pressing Alt+F2 will start it if is not running. but I can't imagine why it isn't doing it automatically some times when you boot.

Hey!
    I had a similar problem, I finally got mine working a long back, but I'm not sure exactly what I did. I just waited for 5 minutes, got into gnome, and used it for an entire day and the next time I booted it up it worked. I deleted my .gnome, .gnome2 and .gnome_private folders and perhaps using the system for some time I set a setting that made it boot properly. Others I have seen have had a messed up /etc/network/interfaces file. See if that is your problem.

Hey!
    Same sort of problem. everything boots ok, nice ubuntu drumbeat and login. user name ; password,
    screen clears to nice dark maroon and mouse pointer (moves around ok, no click-action), and nothing else - dead keyboard, ctrl/alt/del ineffective; ctrl/alt/backspace exits to tty, but with very limited capacities.

Now trying the "wait five minutes or so" tip.

Logged in fine on first boot-up after install from scratch (via hard disk, since cd very dodgy), but every attempt since gets me the pleasant dark maroon...
    Will clean install again..! Thanks anyways!