Thread: Defragment a Mac Hard Drive

Defragment a Mac Hard Drive

I am using a Mac OS since last 6 months, my PC is gone much slow. I don't know why exactly but many people suggested me to defragment the Hard Drive.

I don't know how to do that.Can you all help me in this case ? Please its urgent..

Re: Defragment a Mac Hard Drive

Fragmentation occurs when files are deleted and created.If you create, import, add, delete, export, move, and copy a lot of data to and from your Mac, your hard disk may be fragmented. It causes your PC to slow down.

Well to defragment ,try this :-

1. Copy the contents of your hard disk (usually just the documents) to an external drive, such as a Zip or optical drive.

2. Verify that the files have been copied safely.

3. Trash the files you copied.

4. Copy the files back from your external drive. They will come back to your hard drive defragmented.

It's a good idea to have backups of your important documents, whether or not you defragment. Defragment your drive unsafely and you could lose data.

Dr. V Guest

Third party defragmenting software will reorganize the files on the disk and make sure files that belong together are placed together. This will improve the responsiveness of your Mac and will offer noticeable improvements for fragmented drives.

So purchase a defragmenter, install it, start the defragmenting process, and head off to bed. Defragmenting is almost always as simple as opening the program and clicking the Defragment Now button. It’s no big deal at all and requires only seconds of your time. It’ll take a good amount of time to complete, though, so make sure you can be away from your computer for a while.

Apple does not endorse any single defragmenting utility, but you may wish to search for available third-party solutions in the Macintosh Products Guide