Thread: gOS - Linux Operating System

gOS - Linux Operating System

gOS or "good OS" is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution created by 'Good OS LLC', a Los Angeles-based corporation. The company initially advertised it as an alternative OS with Google Apps and other Web 2.0 apps for the modern user.

The Wal-Mart store website has shown that the computer's have been out of stock from the first day that it was introduced, and I have had difficulty finding one in stock locally. This is not too much of a surprise since Everex, the maker of the PC based in Taiwan, has stated that they only plan on selling 10,000 units of the gPC, and only around 600 Wal-Mart stores will participate in the sales. It looks like these units will be hard to find this upcoming holiday sales season.

gOS is based on the Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) distribution and uses the Enlightenment 17 window manager to lower memory and speed requirements. It first appeared as preinstalled OS on the Everex Green gPC TC2502 sold at Wal-Mart. Primary feature is its usage of a Mac-like Dock featuring icons linking to various web applications such as Google Docs, Wikipedia, and Gmail, as well as local applications such as GIMP and Skype.

And like almost all Ubuntu-based operating systems, gOS comes as a LiveCD, meaning you can take it for a test drive without installing anything. Just boot your PC from the DVD. When you're done, shut down, pop the DVD out and reboot into Windows, Linux, or whatever you've been using up until now.

gOS has been praised for being the most beautiful and easiest to use Linux operating system on the market. Now with their third and best version of gOS, they have carried on their effort to create a Linux for the rest of us.

Re: gOS - Linux Operating System

Installation is extremely fast as well. For those of you familiar with Ubuntu you will have no problem installing gOS. The screens and set up options are basically identical to any Ubuntu installation. When installation is finished you are prompted to remove the live disc and reboot. Then you are presented with the familiar Username and Password log in screens.

Good OS currently has two products:

1.Cloud
    - A browser operating system for web, email, and chat, and toggling into a different operating system such as Windows or Android.

2. gOS
    - Currently at its third major release, gOS 3 Gadgets is a full desktop operating system perfect for desktops and notebooks.

gOS Features:

1. Enjoy a desktop full of live, personalized data

2. gOS 3.1 pre-installs WINE 1.0, which makes it capable of running some Windows software. For example, Google Picasa for Linux runs like it does on Windows thanks to WINE 1.0.

3. Easy to use mail and calendar programs that are totally web-based so you can take it anywhere

4. Great web-based office suite that can open Microsoft Office document formats and PDFs

5. Special desktop effects make gOS 3.1 even cooler and more fun to use

6. Find files fast with desktop search

7. The world's best web browser included Firefox

8. A full productivity suite for when you're offline or need advanced functions

Download gOS

Enlightenment is the windows manager that is used in gOS. This is different than the standard Ubuntu distribution which comes with Gnome. I noted that the Synaptic Package manager is installed with gOS, so it should be a snap to install the standard Gnome desktop that comes with Ubuntu. However, after playing around with Enlightenment, I just might keep it around for a while.

Ubuntu is considered to be a slimmed down version of Linux, and it seems that gOS has slimmed things down even MORE. On the download version, there were quite a few applications that are standard in Ubuntu which are not included with gOS. The bulk of missing applications seem to be those that are centered with system administration. For example, I could not find a menu entry to add and remove users. I know this can easily be done from the command line, but most users may prefer graphical tools. This is something I will need to verify on the gPC, since I will have multiple users in my home who like there desktops set just right.

It’s not bad. Fairly speedy, but (imo) probably a bit confusing for anyone coming from Windows. The single-click-on-desktop menu takes getting used to (tho I’m sure it can be disabled). Comes with everything you’d need tho, full Open Office suite, media player (rhythmbox) etc. Exactly as they imply, it sure is Google integrated.