Thread: Simple Network Management Protocol on Windows 7

Simple Network Management Protocol on Windows 7

Hi, basically i am a Windows Xp user but my dad assembled a one new PC with Windows 7 yesterday. Now, in order to detect network faults or inappropriate access and many more reasons, i wanted to install and configure SNMP on Windows 7. While browsing for some tips, i found this one here How to install the SNMP service ? .

I wanted to know, does this steps work with Windows 7 as well ? Also let me know some configuration steps for the same operating system, if any? Help appreciated..

Re: Simple Network Management Protocol on Windows 7

Yeah, installation process of the SNMP service on Windows 7 is little bit same to the above mentioned post. i can say that logic is same but some way is different. To install SNMP service on Windows 7, just follow this:-

• Go to Start menu and open Control Panel.
    • Click on Programs and Features and in the left pane click on 'Turn Windows features on or off'
    • Click yes if you are prompted with UAC and scroll down to 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)' in Windows Features window.
    • Select the SNMP check box and and click on OK.

Thats it.. SNMP willtake some time for installation and it will be done.

SNMP uses a distributed architecture consisting of management applications and agent applications. The SNMP service implements an SNMP agent. To use the information the SNMP service provides, you must have at least one host that is running an SNMP management application. You can use third-party SNMP management software, or you can develop your own SNMP management software application.

Additionally, the SNMP Extension Agent API defines the interface between the SNMP service and third-party SNMP extension agent DLLs. The SNMP Utility API functions can be used to simplify the processing of SNMP messages.

To configure SNMP agent information:
    • Click Start, point to Control Panel, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
    • In the console tree, expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.
    • In the right pane, double-click SNMP Service.
    • Click the Agent tab.
    • Type the name of the user or administrator of the computer in the Contact box, and then type the physical location of the computer or contact in the Location box.
    • Under Service, click to select the check boxes next to the services that are provided by your computer. Service options are:
      • Physical: Specifies whether the computer manages physical devices, such as a hard disk partition.
      • Applications: Specifies whether the computer uses any programs that send data by using TCP/IP.
      • Datalink and subnetwork: Specifies whether this computer manages a TCP/IP subnetwork or datalink, such as a bridge.
      • Internet: Specifies whether this computer acts as an IP gateway (router).
      • End-to-end: Specifies whether this computer acts as an IP host.
    • Click OK.

Confirm that the SNMP service uses the correct User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports. The SNMP service uses the default UDP port 161 for general SNMP messages. The SNMP service uses the default UDP port 162 for SNMP trap messages. The SNMP service sends SNMP trap packets to the SNMP trap host or manager by using UDP port 162. If these ports are being used by another service, you can change the settings by modifying the local services file on the agent. The services file is located in the %systemroot%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder.