Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009

Remove Unread Mail Message Counter In Windows Xp

Hello , I will try to make it short , Since My xp Has Multiple Account Including framework which include the other , But whenever i Start my Pc , I got this i Unread Mails Message on the Windows Welcome Screen , I looked in on my webmail ... but there was no unread message I searched with Google and Find the only solution is to is to delete the account created by framework (for no longer having to go through this start page) all this to remove a recurring message on the actual page ... please tell me How to solve this problem Thanks in Advance for Your replies
Old 04-04-2009

Re: Remove Unread Mail Message Counter In Windows Xp

The unread message count is stored in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail and each account ever checked from this computer in the count is listed as subkeys under this key. Their unread count is only included in the total shown on the logon screen if they were checked within the last 3 days.You can disable this feature by editing a value called MessageExpiryDays, setting it to 0. If you use any other number, it will display the number of unread messages for that many days. The default is 3. If the value does not exist under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail, you'll need to create a DWORD named MessageExpiryDays. By default, the value will be 0 unless you change it to another number.
Old 04-04-2009

Hello , If your computer belongs to a workgroup and you use the XP Welcome logon screen to log on to that workgroup, the OS will display the number of unread mail messages on the logon screen. To disable this feature, perform the following steps: Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail subkey.
Double-click MessageExpiryDays (or create a new value of type DWORD if MessageExpiryDays doesn't exist), set the value to 0, then click OK.
Close the registry editor.
Old 04-04-2009

Hello , The unread-email counter that appears on the XP Welcome screen can sometimes indicate that more unread messages exist than the actual number of messages. Although several scenarios can lead to this error, a common example is when another user accesses your machine to check his or her email while you're logged on.

The best way to clear the unread-email counter is to download the Tweak UI XP PowerToy ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp ) and perform the following steps:
  1. Start Tweak UI.
  2. Select the Repair branch in the left-hand pane of the dialog box.
  3. Select "Repair unread mail count" in the right-hand pane, then click "Repair Now".
  4. Close Tweak UI.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,