Thread: logical drive in Vista

logical drive in Vista

i have 3(EISA config., OS-Vista, Recovery) primary and 1 logical partition in my system..
    Now i want to re-install my OS so will i lose my data on that logical partitiion or will it remain as it is after i reinstall my OS??

Also i am not able to extend my logical drive even though some unallocated space is available? why is it so?

Re: logical drive in Vista

Yes, If you reinstall OS again then you will lose your data from the logical drive, but why dont you transfer the data in other drive and then reinstall Operating System so that your data will be safe to be used next time.

you can save your logical partition.try partition magic to format and manage drive .with partition magic you can format extend logical drive also.

ok but i have a problem now...

I have 3 primary partitions
    1. EISA Configurations 71MB
    2. OS Vista 100GB
    3. Recovery 10GB
    and a LOGICAL partition having 37GB

now i want to reinstall windows without losing my data in that 37GB logical partition.. how can i do this?

I dont think i can experiment with recovery or EISA partition and the new OS will be installed on C drive.. so how can i save my data?

In this scenario, your existing Vista is in the 100GB drive, right? So if you have some data in that drive, back it up somewhere else and install Vista on the 100GB partition, only that partition will be erased while you format it, no other partitions will be touched. Also if you wan't to create more partition, you can create it with the Vista bootable disc and divide the 100GB partition into more then one partiton, and install OS accordingly...

ok..thats fine.. but someone told me that if i formatted the C drive then i'll lose the data on that logical drive as well since i created that drive by shrinking the C drive only.. is this true?

What you wanted to do? whether You wanted to format the C drive or the partition you have created on your logical drive both the options are available but just you need to decide which you wanted to erase.

Well if you are formatting C drive I don't think you will loose your data on your logical drive. But just to be sure why dot you have a backup of your Logical drive just to be in safer side?