Thread: Sfc /Scannow with the Windows XP SP3

Sfc /Scannow with the Windows XP SP3

Hello,
    I want To ask this question that is in the title! Is it still effective to run a sfc / scannow if it is already at windows Xp SP3? Actually i want To Install Xp sp3 And want to checkout if this Command also work in Windows xP Service pack 3 ( Sp3 ) As i used these Command frequently , but my Freind told me this Command Has some Problems Thank you in advance for replies

Re: Sfc /Scannow with the Windows XP SP3

If the Login Screen is a box asking for a password, and you have not allocated one, just click ok and see if it will boot normally. If not, you could try the sfc from 'Safe Mode'.

To do this, turn the computer on (from a "cold" start) and continually tap the F8 Key; this will bring you to a Menu with a number of listings, including Safe Mode; select this.

Once Safe Mode is running, go Start > Run > type in the box sfc /scannow, and insert the Windows CD (hold the Shift key down to prevent it from starting) > Ok.
    (Please note the spaces in the command prompt.)
    A small pane will appear on the screen running the sfc.
    Naturally you will not be able to anything on the computer while its running, so be patient, as it will take anything up to 45 minutes to complete.
    During the scan you might get a message box asking to Insert the CD, just click Retry, and allow sfc to do its thing. Once the scan is complete, reboot the computer normally.

For the i386 folder that OEM installs place there. Check these registry keys for the proper directions to i386.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\
    SourcePath C:\i386

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
    SourcePath C:\i386

Unless your i386 is not in the root of C, just edit the line to add the rest of the path. Usual registry precautions. backup-etc.

This problem is "Usually" due to several Registry Keys/Values. If XP is originally installed from CD, then a key value denoting that is set = 1. Also when a Service Pack is applied, the source files are stored in a folder \ServicePackFiles which substitutes for the original i386. When SFC /Scannow is done the CD install key causes SFC to prompt for a XP CD-ROM ( which won't have SP3 embedded into it ), so SFC tends to repetitively prompt for the disk. There are several solutions, from modifying Registry Key values to
    creating a SP3 \i386 folder on your PC to avoid prompting for the CD ROM disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillebror View Post
    This problem is "Usually" due to several Registry Keys/Values. If XP is originally installed from CD, then a key value denoting that is set = 1. Also when a Service Pack is applied, the source files are stored in a folder \ServicePackFiles which substitutes for the original i386. When SFC /Scannow is done the CD install key causes SFC to prompt for a XP CD-ROM ( which won't have SP3 embedded into it ), so SFC tends to repetitively prompt for the disk. There are several solutions, from modifying Registry Key values to
    creating a SP3 \i386 folder on your PC to avoid prompting for the CD ROM disk.
    I guess the only option I have left is to attempt to create a SP3 \i386 folder, since none of the other options have worked for me. Is there instructions for this somewhere?
    Many thanks
    Tim

Hello friend,

Can you elaborate your question? With what you have said might be a solution for you but it completely depends on what exactly your problem is.

I was trying to run sfc /scannow on Windows Media SP 3, and I get the prompt to insert my Windows XP SP3 CD. It's an OEM installation and I have no CD except to reformat to the original state. I read the other posts regarding changing the registry to point to the i386 folder in the windows directory, but it didn't correct the issue. I still can't run SFC.

Did you mean why was I trying to run sfc.exe?

Tim

Hey I had the same problem but could never figured out the exact solution though.
    Would it be possible or advisable to enable or disabled services through the services.msc snap-in?