Thread: Unable to copy from NTFS partition

Unable to copy from NTFS partition

hi,
    I am unable to copy my files,data to the local disk from NTFS partition.I have to move a system partition to a new hard disk, operating system, data and boot record intact. I get the message: "No space left on device". This seems a bit odd to me because I can't still put files on this drive(in another folder)Any ideas how i can do this?

Re: Unable to copy from NTFS partition

SelfImage is capable of making an image file of a hard disk or hard disk partition, and can restore an image back to any drive or partition that doesn't have open files. Useful for making backups. Unlike dd for Windows (or cygwin), SelfImage is capable of creating an image of a partition that is currently in use.

SelfImage can even create images of partitions that Windows doesn't recognize (partitions that Windows doesn't have mounted on a drive letter). This is perfect for the dual-boot system, you can create an image backup of a Linux partition directly from Windows.

hi,
    Try "ntfs-config". Its a little tool which allows you to easily give ntfs partions write permissions.

There are a variety of options, using device mapper. I would prefer using ntfsclone, instead of dd- but use whatever you are comfortable with. The data stream from either dd or ntfsclone will come from the source partition and will be encrypted to its destination on the fly. Device mapper is quick and transparent.Learning about device mapper is definitely worthwhile, IMO. You'll need the userspace tools in addition to the kernel module which is included in
    recent 2.6.x kernels.