Thread: Remove Linux

Remove Linux

I would like to know how do I remove a Linux computer ,,, someone just give me a computer that has the software and I would like to remove to install a Windows program ... but I do not know how to remove Linux.

Your help would be greatly appreciated please

Thank you

Re: Remove Linux

To remove Linux from your computer and install Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Remove the native, swap, and boot partitions used by Linux:
    1. Start your computer with the Linux Setup floppy disk, type fdisk at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: For help with using the Fdisk tool, type m at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    2. Type p at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to display partition information. The first item listed is hard disk 1, partition 1 information, and the second item listed is hard disk 1, partition 2 information.
    3. Type d at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. You are then prompted for the partition number that you want to delete. Type 1, and then press ENTER to delete partition number 1. Repeat this step until all the partitions have been deleted.
    4. Type w, and then press ENTER to write this information to the partition table. Some error messages may be generated (because information is written to the partition table), but they should not be significant at this point because the next step is to restart the computer and then install the new operating system.
    5. Type q at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Fdisk tool.
    6. Insert either a bootable floppy disk or the bootable Windows XP CD-ROM, and then press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart your computer

See this link for more help : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314458

Re: Remove Linux

You can restart with your XP CD and format altogether.