Thread: Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."

Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."

Hi,

I have a service in a mapped network folder in Win 2003 server. While I am starting this service I am getting "The system cannot find the path specified" error message.

Can't we run a service which is present in a network folder?

Kindly let me know if there is any way that I can start the service present in a mapped network folder.

PS: The registry key ImagePath in regedit --> HKLM --> -->system-->CCS-->services --> "my service" points to the network drive location.

Thanks

Re: Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."

Use the Adsutil.vbs utility to determine the services that are configured in the metabase

To use the Adsutil.vbs utility to determine the services that are configured in the IIS metabase, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services snap-in, under Name, verify the IIS services that are installed on the computer.
    3. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    4. At the command prompt, type the following command, where HardDisk is the hard disk where IIS is installed:
    cd HardDisk\inetpub\adminscripts
    5. To verify that an IIS service is configured in the metabase, type the following command at the command prompt, where ServiceName is the IIS service that you want to verify in the IIS metabase:
    Adsutil.vbs enum ServiceName
    For example, to verify that the IIS metabase contains configuration information for the FTP Publishing Service, type Adsutil.vbs enum MSFTPSVC.

If you receive an error message that is similar to the following, the IIS service may not be installed correctly:
    The path requested could not be found.
    6. After you determine the configuration differences between the information that is stored in the metabase and the services that are running on the computer, install or remove services on the computer. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type Appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    3. Double-click Internet Information Services (IIS).
    4. Click to select or click to clear the check boxes for the services that you want to configure, and then click Next.
    5. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the Windows Components Wizard.

Re: Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."

Delete the registry key for the FTP Publishing Service

To delete the registry key for the FTP Publishing Service, follow these steps:

Note Only follow these steps if the FTP Publishing Service is installed on the computer and if the IIS metabase contains no configuration information for the FTP Publishing Service.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. Locate the folder where the Adsutil.vbs file is located.
    3. To enumerate the configuration information for the FTP Publishing Service in the IIS metabase, type the following command:
    Adsutil.vbs enum MSFTPSVC
    If the IIS metabase contains no configuration information for the FTP Publishing Service or if you receive an error message, go to step 4.
    4. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    5. Locate and then right-click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\INetMgr\Parameters\AddOnServices\FTP
    6. In the right pane, right-click FTP, and then click Delete.
    7. Quit Registry Editor.