Thread: Difference between Windows and Macintosh

Difference between Windows and Macintosh

hi,
    i want to know the Difference between Windows and MAC Operating Systems?there are many ways to find which operating system is running but how windows differ from MAC in terms of Process Management and Memory Management.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Difference between Windows and Macintosh

hi,
    The key difference between Macs and PCs is that PCs are much more customizable. Almost every PC is extremely modular, allowing parts to be switched out and upgraded one at a time, whereas all but the most expensive Macs are all-in-one devices, meaning that they must be upgraded all at once.

PC stands for Personal Computer and refers to any IBM-compatible computer. The term PC comes from the first personal computer made by IBM. A computer that is IBM-compatible means that its architecture is based on the IBM microprocessor. A number of different operating systems are compatible with PCs, the most popular of which is Microsoft Windows. Some others are the unix variants, such as Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris.

Mac is short for Macintosh and refers to any computer produced by Apple Computer. Macs are traditionally classified separately from PCs because they are based on the PowerPC architecture from Apple/IBM/Motorola instead of the traditional Intel based microprocessors that have powered PCs for decades. A great deal of software is also compatible with either Mac or PC, but not both.

hi,
    The reason I use OS X more is because it’s my portable machine, I can happily use my Windows desktop is needs be. Probably because i’m familiar with both.

And if it was reversed i.e. I have a WinXP portable and a G5 desktop, I would probably find that I would be using WinXP more because I prefer to use a portable machine.

On the Mac the Command (Apple) key is the Control Key in Windows, whereas the Control Key from the Mac is the Right-Click in Windows.

On a Windows keyboard, the Control key is always labeled Ctrl. On a Mac keyboard, expect to find the ⌘ or ? symbol on the Command key.