Thread: Windows Defender in Vista seems to be missing on Windows 7

Windows Defender in Vista seems to be missing on Windows 7

Hello Friends,

I have recently upgraded my system from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Currently i'm facing a problem with my "Software Explorer" option which was present in Windows Defender of Windows Vista, but it seems to be missing in my Windows 7. I would like to know that will my "Software Explorer" section would get removed from Windows Defender in Windows 7 or how do i get back on my system? Does any body have any idea on this issue? Kindly suggest me your views on the above issue. Any information on it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows Defender in Vista seems to be missing on Windows 7

Changing how a program runs on your computer, such as blocking Internet or network connections and ending processes, can cause problems with Windows and other programs that you use. Use Software Explorer to change how a program runs on your computer only if you are certain the program is causing a problem.

Note: To use some Software Explorer options, you must be logged on as Administrator or be a member of the Administrators group.

To view software running on your computer using Software Explorer

• Open Windows Defender (click Start, type Windows Defender in the search field, and press Enter).
    • Click Tools, and then click Software Explorer.
    • In the Category list, select the type of software that you want to monitor.

Software Explorer in Windows Defender allows you to view detailed information about software that is currently running on your computer that can affect your privacy or the security of your computer. You can see, for example, which programs run automatically when you start Windows and information about how these programs interact with important Windows programs and services.

Software Explorer helps you monitor the following items:
    • Startup programs, which are programs that run automatically (with or without your knowledge) when you start Windows.
    • Currently running programs, which are programs that are running onscreen or in the background.
    • Network-connected programs, which are programs or processes that can connect to the Internet or to your home or office network.
    • Winsock service providers, which are programs that perform low-level networking and communication services for Windows and programs that run on Windows. These programs often have access to important areas of your computer.

Windows Defender is often overlooked as being a simple anti-spyware application. But it has some great features which surpass a lot of the functionality that msconfig was often used for.

The Software Explorer is one of them, you can find it under Tools. It offers a few different options from the drop down menu, startup programs, which allows you to see and block any specific applications from starting with the system.

Although a common source of confusion for non-technical users is the 'Show for all users' button, which is required to make any system-wide changes (most applications set themselves to startup system-wide). So you often need to elevate using that button to make any changes, else the buttons are greyed out. I think that needs to be made more clear, or Defender needs to ask for elevation automatically upon starting the Software Explorer.

o use Software Explorer to view and manage your programs:

Note: To view and manage programs and other software for all users on the computer, you must provide an administrator password or permission.

1. Click Start, then All Programs, and then Windows Defender.

2. Click Tools, and then Software Explorer.

3. In the Category list, select the type of software to monitor. To monitor software used by all users on the computer, click Show for all users. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.