Thread: Connect Windows XP to Linux Shell Remotely

Connect Windows XP to Linux Shell Remotely

Is it possible to connect to my Debian Server [ubuntu] through Windows XP Professional?? I use the server for Counter-strike and TeamSpeak. My server is located at my Dad's place few minutes away so I can easily go there and configure it for the remote hosting. If someone could provide detailed instructions on this ( I am a Linux beginner ) it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Connect Windows XP to Linux Shell Remotely

Hey!
    First make sure sshd is running on the Linux machine, then connect to it from XP via PuTTY.Downloading and PuTTY is considered illegal in some countries, so make sure it is not where you are located... All the best...!

Yeah Putty/ssh is fine for command line. Dont use telnet, its a big security hole VNC or something is nice but slow. X forwarding is also a bit of headache under windows If you have a PocketPC PDA, PocketPutty is really sweet too...! All the best...!

I use WinVNC on the Windows machines and TightVNC on the Linux machines. It works very well and is like a software KVM switch. You do need to have ssh installed and running on the Linux machine. Windows may whine a little about VNC, but since the tray icon is always visible, it can't be installed in secret.

I use PuTTY to control Linux machines from Windows. X-forwarding (the GUI) is a little more involved here, but for command-line work, it's just fine.

Dr. V Guest

If u want to remote login the other PC In your Network. Then ther is a command as
    Code:
    ssh IP_Apddress of the system
    And also a package comes in linux called VNC install the package and enjoy the free access to other PC. The ssh command requires the root's password of the sytem u want to remote login. the telnet command can also be used.

Code:
    telnet IP_Adress