Thread: Whole Disk Encryption and System Partition Imaging

Whole Disk Encryption and System Partition Imaging

I would like to completely encrypt my hard disk (including the system partition) and do quick scheduled system partition images as an alternative for the Windows system recovery ("Systeemherstel" in Dutch) that is not always reliable. I tried to use PGP WDE for encryption and Acronis for imaging but the combination does not work. Recovery of the image results in a non-encrypted partition, then I have to fix the MBR and re-encrypt the partition again which takes hours. Truecrypt seems to do the same (from their website description). I would like something easier. Is there a better solution?

Regards, Jan

Re: Whole Disk Encryption and System Partition Imaging

using encrypted virtual disks is the best solution.
    Making an image of a normal non-encrypted system partition is a fast, easy, simple and reliable procedure. To backup a virtual disk you just burn it to a DVD.
    Making an image of a whole encrypted disk is a nightmare - very slow creation & restoration, the chances something to go wrong are many times higher, images are huge etc. (not only when using ATI, but with any imaging app). Also WDE affects system performance far more than using only encrypted containers for sensitive data.

Any file may get corrupt, it's your fault there was no backup. If you don't like PGP, use TrueCrypt containers. But WDE is just an unnecessary complication

Here is also DriveCrypt , I have used it but not much. It supports Full Disk Encryption (Encrypts parts or 100% of your HardDisk including the operating System). Google it , you'll find easily.

Well, PGP WDE works fine, I don't see any delays. My docs is very well backed up offline. But I would like to takes snapshots and restore my system easily, without the need for de- and re-encryption, e.g. after a software install that goes wrong. So I'm happy, but I could be happier. Is there a way to create a snaphot within the encrypted drive, so I can easily roll back. I can take the risk of a complete reinstall (e.g. nonencrypted system image from external HD) in case of a drive crash.

The reason I like to do WDE is that it also encrypts any temp files and others residing on the system partition that may contain sensitive data (is that true?). Otherwose I would only encrypt my data partition that includes my Outlook files. Or am I over-suspicious?

Thanks anyway

Jan
    Last edited by JanP; 26-03-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks anyway I seem to understand that. I thought if you booted from the Acronis recovery disk and made the image that it would be encrypted? Also coulden't you just use the Acronis programs encryption to encrypt the backup image so that it can't be restored without a password? Woulden't that solve the issue of the image being restored unencrypted? after an image backup of wde through acronis on windows? I am hoping that this might be the easier way to back up a disk protected by pgp whole disk encryption. I read on the pgp forem that if you booted acronis secure recovery cd or the acronis cd it's self if you have it that a backup image of a wde disk would be encrypted. Please let me know if I am correct in these items. Thanks.

We use Casper Secure to back up all of our systems. Casper works very well with PGP WDE and also transfers all of the data from the old HD to the new one with retention of all of the encrypted data in its original encrypted state.