Thread: Slow Response WS2K3 SP2 Std.

Slow Response WS2K3 SP2 Std.

I have a server that has recently started acting up. If becomes very slow and unresponsive at times. Even after I reformatted the server, it is still acting slow, even without any third party applications installed. When I look at the performance it looks as if the hard drive is experiencing heavy access, and long disk queue lengths.

It seems as if out of the blue it will just start accessing the drives for no reason, and last several minutes. The only software I am running on the server is SyncBack, and Symantec EPM. All updates are current.

I have a Raid I array with two partitions, controlled by Nvidia Nforce RAID.

The logs show as the following (min Max respectively)
    Pages//Sec 655 5000
    Avg Disk Queue Length 10 55
    % Disk Time 300 2767
    Current Disk Queue Length 5 41

Processor usage stays low.
    I have no clue what could be going on. I don't believe it is a driver issue because on this most recent reformat, I installed all the newest drivers for the system. And still had the problem previously when the older drivers were installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    All the best
    Kyle

Re: Slow Response WS2K3 SP2 Std.

Restart the Workstation service on the client displaying the error. In Windows XP Professional, the command NET STOP WORKSTATION followed by NET START WORKSTATION should accomplish the task. Rebooting is another alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    Restart the Workstation service on the client displaying the error. In Windows XP Professional, the command NET STOP WORKSTATION followed by NET START WORKSTATION should accomplish the task. Rebooting is another alternative.
    Thanks for your reply. I do not have any clients connecting to this unit except for my workstation via remote desktop. It is not a file server, and no one connects to it. If I reboot, it will fix the problem for perhaps 15 minutes. I do cannot think of anything that would be causing this.

Thanks again, I look forward to a reply.
    Kyle

I also tried disabling RAID and I am still experiencing the same problems. I thought it could be a hardware conflict with the integrated RAID chipset and Windows.
    Still getting same problems. This used to be an extremely fast server.