Thread: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

matthewforu Guest

C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

the above file could not be found, so my desktop wont load. ive tried reinstalling vista and repairing, both to no avail. any help?

Re: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

Causes for this problem can be,
    1. It may be a software conflict.
    2. The software is associating with the system tightly.
    3. It may be an anti-virus software.
    4. The biggest suspect is Symantec/Norton security softwares.

OK, the cause of this issue still remains unknown, but I do think it is Symantec/Norton softwares. Suppose you have Symantec/Norton anti-virus softwares installed. Start your PC, when see the desktop, shut down the computer immediately. What will happen on next startup? Before I didn't have this problem at all with McAfee total protection.

Post Re: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

start window$ Vi$ta..

a) start --> run --> cmd --> gpupdate /force

log off.. and lo back into your userprofile.. and it should work..

b) if it doesn't you might have to do a:
    start --> run --> chkdsk /R /X (if not possible.. press "y" to perform check at next reboot)

reboot your computer and let checkdisk finish..

c) perform part "a" again.. and it should hopefully work.

/itudk

Wh0's yoUr daDdY n0w?

I tried A, but it didn't work. B said there wasn't proper authorization, although there is only one user account on this computer.

We purchased this computer about a month ago. We haven't downloaded any new software besides initially, which was about a month ago, as well. Last night, the computer just froze up, installed a windows update when it shut down and rebooted. When it loaded back up again, we got this message and haven't been able to fix it. Services seem to be stopped and there is no way to update them. Search fails to initialize and we can't open up restore windows, etc.

Pressing F8 only leads us to a message that asks if we want to boot up from the drive or from CDRom. We have a recovery disk, but we heard that the problem might be from the windows update being incorrect (even though they're automatic) and that it becomes a reoccuring problem.

Help!

Hello , Check this it might help you

I got this error message after a windows update:

c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

i found that all my settings and data had been changed to default the links to practically everything had a message which read something like:

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to to make sure the disk is properly inserted.

I looked around found no solution so i decided to go to the area it reported a problem:

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop nothing was in there

so i went in my user then seen i had 2 Desktop Folders 1 blank 1 with my desktop items.

i deleted the blank 1 and in C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile i deleted the desktop 1 there.

back in user folder i right clicked on the desktop folder and copy

Paste the folder into C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\ once it has copied a message will say copy desktop.ini file the top 1 being older and other newer make sure you overwrite this to the older 1.

Reboot and this problem should be fixed.

if you feel you dont want to delete anything then cut and paste in to a folder anywhere but when fixed remove as not needed i hope this helps you all.

no need to uninstall and do any restoring or repair windows stuff
    source- TEchguy.com

I had this problem in Windows 7. The simple way to solve it is to make sure that the directory that it's complaining about (c:/Windows/system32/config/systemprofile/Desktop) exists and is readable - and then everything just worked for me. The config directory wasn't readable by me, so a quick fiddle as Administrator sorted that, and the systemprofile directory was the same. Then I just had to create a Desktop directory, log out and log back in again. All happy then.

Hope this helps someone ...

i am having this problem on windows 7 and cannot seem to figure it out. everytime i create a new user account and try to log on i get that same error message. can anybody please help

Most probably this error occurs due to some conflict between the system and some recently installed program. To find out if this is the cause of your problem, perform a clean boot on your system. To do so, Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights. Go to Start, type msconfig.exe in the search field and hit enter. On the General tab, click to select the option Selective startup, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.) On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. Now restart and see if it occurs again.

Quote Originally Posted by SalVatore View Post
    Causes for this problem can be,
    1. It may be a software conflict.
    2. The software is associating with the system tightly.
    3. It may be an anti-virus software.
    4. The biggest suspect is Symantec/Norton security softwares.

OK, the cause of this issue still remains unknown, but I do think it is Symantec/Norton softwares. Suppose you have Symantec/Norton anti-virus softwares installed. Start your PC, when see the desktop, shut down the computer immediately. What will happen on next startup? Before I didn't have this problem at all with McAfee total protection.
    SOLVED!
    Like SaVatore said Symantec/Norton softwares is the problem. I just uninstalled Norton Internet Security on my HP -- restart thenn BOOM!! Everything is back to normal.

Thx SalVatore