Thread: Problem with Windows Vista Operating System

Problem with Windows Vista Operating System

I recently installed windows vista ultimate edition as an operating system and on shutdown mode it just say shut down and does not get it. then If I try to start in safe mode, it shuts down quickly. there is some problem.
    I also tried disable usb connection items but no results.
    Can anyone tell me what i am having problem.

Please provide some assistance

Re: Problem with Windows Vista Operating System

maybe one of ur drivers/programs is not shutting dow

or maybe ur system is configured to delete the pagefile on shutdown or even do some task like clear up cache on shutdown.

To REALLY reduce your shutdown time. Start Regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control. Click on the "Control" Folder. Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" Right click on it and select Modify. the default value is ( i think) 12000. Setting it to a lower 4 digit value,( say 6000) will make your PC shutdown faster, but you could end up losing data, so use this tweak judiciously.

Yes, a program or driver or service is refusing to shut down. Thats a huge vista problem. Why vista doesn't have better control I don't know. I forced the issue though by making vista KILL all programs, demons, etc much quicker. Normally vista is set to take 20 seconds each or 20000 milliseconds. But for some reason, his default setting in the registry seems to allow pesky programs to stay alive far longer than that as if having too long a setting is the same as disabling the Kill command. My out of the box Vista compter would remain on for hours if I let it promting me to routinely force shutdown. I am now using a risky approach by modifying that registry entry to kill in half the designated 20000ms which results in a 10 second shutdown. Rebooting seems faster too as if I've cleaned up a bad program. Its risky because some programs may not be able to write data back in time but in my view, screw that program. Just make sure you've saved any docs you've got open. Who cares about the rest.

Backup your registry.
    run Regedit
    goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
    on the right find "WaittoKillServiceTimeout" key.
    Change the long 20000 ms setting to a smaller number. Best to start with 15000 first

there are many reason for windows vista slow shutdown.
    1) virus
    2) some processes take time to terminate
    3) some operating system's configuration issue

here is the best way to troubleshooting vista slow problem. It has explained all possible reason for vista slow working and shutdown.

It is fairly common for Windows Vista to shutdown slowly
    sometimes, and this can be for a variety of reasons (such as installing updates, crashed applications or driver problems). If this happens more frequently, it indicates that this problem shouldn't be happening and is worth troubleshooting.
    Start by loading the event viewer "eventvwr.msc" from the run box (press

WINDOWS KEY + R to start this

Once event viewer has loaded, browse to Applications and Services > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance > Operational. This may take a few seconds to appear, as lots of data is loading. Once complete, it will display any significant events in the centre panel. You can scroll through events occurring at the time of a slow shutdown to see which applications or services caused a slowness (look for "Shutdown Performance Monitoring" under the "Task Category" tab)

In this example, a service called TrkWks caused a shutdown problem ("This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process"). Once you have determined which services or applications are causing the problem each time, you can then google for more information to diagnose each item individually. Often, patching or updating drivers can improve these issues.